Tape Sensitivity??

ElizabethC
on 1/16/06 11:22 am - Wirtz, VA
I keep thinking of all sorts of "what-ifs", and the one that hit me today regards sensitivity to tape. I don't guess I'm "allergic" to tape, but the really sticky tape and bandaids always leave my skin red, bumpy and itchy. It usually takes a few days to go away Has anyone else had this problem?? I think I'd do okay with paper tape, but am not sure if they'd be willing to use that. I guess I'm worried that my incisions might take longer to heal if they get aggravated. Happy Momma
TammyNVA
on 1/16/06 2:13 pm - Chesterfield, VA
I was fine and then just last week (6 weeks post-op) got redness after I took the band-aid off a healing spot on my tummy. No big deal, just wiped it off and put on a small rub of ointment. It was gone on a day. Worse thing with the tape was the "naked" spots where the tape pulled hair out of my arm when they took out the IV just before I left the hospital. I still have a bald spot on my left arm! Tammy
Cinderellen
on 1/16/06 6:02 pm - Winterville, NC
I've had rather severe reactions to surgical tape. The worst brand for me is Dermaclear. When I had surgery a few years ago, they used it, and I had red, blistered, weeping, burning skin for a week before it healed. I am not sure that it hampered would healing, since they didn't actually tape the would itself, but it sure did make me more uncomfortable. I usually tell my surgeons that I'm allergic to it, just to make sure they don't use it again. They do have other options. I also have this reaction with band-aids, but only if I leave them on too long. You're not alone. ~Ellen
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/06 6:37 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
HM , Let them know that you are sensitive to adhesives . I have a latex allergy and when I had surgery, everything they used was latex free. It can be very serious if you do not tell them . If you are having open you will have one big bandage accross it . Lap you will have little bandages . I would definatly tell them asap so they can right it in your chart . Best to you , Nat
MrsTonyaBrown
on 1/16/06 8:45 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hiya, I have a latex sensitivity, bordering on allergy, and I have no clue what type of tape they used, but every place I had tape (even the stuff I had to use later to change the bandaging around my feeding tube) I got nasty red blisters, horrible itching, and swelling. Dr said that as long as I experienced no interruption in breathing, etc, I'd have to deal with it until I was healed enough to not need it. Six weeks later, all tape was gone and now I was just itchy until it calmed itself down. Good luck, Tonya 405/379/280/180 (highest/surgery/current/goal)
ElizabethC
on 1/16/06 8:58 pm - Wirtz, VA
Thanks for the information!! I'm definitely going to tell my surgeon about this. It's one of those things that's never been a huge problem before, just an irritation, but then I realized it could be a LOT worse in this case! Happy Momma
Bobthera
on 1/17/06 9:48 am - Richmond, VA
I had the same problem and 3M makes a tape that worked for me. I think it is called NextCare, it says it is for sensative skin and it worked for me. I had to shop around for it though. Bob
Splenderella
on 1/18/06 8:44 am
Yes, that happened to me and it was awful! There was one scar in particular that was bad. I started out with tape, then went to a band aid, then back to tape...I kept moving the tape further and further out and then gave up. Even now, my skin is still sensitive to it and its only been since surgery. I would have to put scent free lotion on it and it ended up healing just fine. It was a pain in the butt though! Erika AT GOAL! 247/140 *-107
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views