Anyone had their surgery at Portsmouth Naval??

locustangel
on 1/14/06 6:11 am - Norfolk, VA
Hi .. i was just wondering if anyone had their surgery at portsmouth naval? I was also wondering which appointments they had to make so far as the check ups before post op....i am having my first dr. visit on the 9th of feb and would really like to see if there are any appointments i can set up now (tricare sucks for making appointments in a timely fashion). I also was wondering if anyone else is had panic attacks about the surgery and things that would happen after the surgery. i am so looking forward to the surgery, but when i got the call for my first dr. visit it hit me... this is really going to happen... and then i started thinking about all the possibilities and things that would change .. and it is really scary.. needless to say i am a bit freaked out right now..... i dont want to sound like a blubbering idiot when i go to my first appointment....
MrsTonyaBrown
on 1/14/06 9:51 am - Jacksonville, FL
Natalee, I can see how you are freaking out. I was the same way. You cannot make the next appts until after the initial consult is done, because Joan, the gastric secretary/nurse, sends in the request for them. And lately, they're getting done very quickly. The next appts will be the nutrition and psych evals. THey are a breeze, as long as you are very honest. Then, they will set you up with your pre-op appt, then teach appt, then your surgery. When I went through this, it was 6 to 9 months from initial to surgery. I'm told now it's around 3 months max. But I may be wrong. Good luck and God be with you, Tonya
Amy B.
on 1/14/06 11:31 am - Hampton Roads, VA
Hi Natelee, I read your profile and from the sounds of it you and I got on the list at NMCP about the same time. According to the online queue there are 10 people ahead of me waiting to get their first appointments with the surgeon. I don't panic.....I'm anxious to have the surgery done and I have fears I think are normal that come in waves and kind of go away. I fear the pain after surgery....and then I think about those sharp, stabbing aches and pains I get in my joints more and more frequently and how bad I hurt sometimes when I crawl in bed at the end of the day. I don't have good pain meds to get through that but I will for this surgery I'm so happy to hear from somebody going through this adventure at Portsmouth Naval....I read a lot on this board but very seldom do I see many posts from people getting their surgery there. I have been extremely busy and unable to get to a support group yet but I plan to start going in February as a top priority. Just before Christmas I cut way way back on activities so that I can really focus and start making some conscious adjustments to my new lifestyle...like not drinking with my meals and chewing my food at least 30 times. Also thinking more about what I'm eating and beginning to give up some of the things I love that I know I won't be able to enjoy later....such as rice. I think I'm probably "right behind ya" and I wish you a hassle-free journey to surgery day! "Mittie".....that's my nickname from my best friend.
Ernurse323
on 1/16/06 1:38 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Hiya Mittie !!! I am on the list also. Unfortunately I am number 236 on the list to see the doc according to PNH website..so maybe i should consider going on the outside. My orientation was in September. I am feeling the blues !! Mittie..I have not gone to any of the meetings either so maybe we could meet there. Do you have an email? Mine is [email protected]. Dana
Ernurse323
on 1/16/06 1:44 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
Natelee.. I am so happy for you !!! It has been a long time coming I know. I am still waiting. There are many days i wish i had have gotten the ball rolling sooner so i wouldn't feel so stagnet now..just waiting the days out for the numbers on that dang list to go down. Did Joan say how long from feb 9th till your surg appointment? You go girl !!! All of us playing the PNH waiting game are very excited for you. You are on your way !!! Yeah for you !! Talk soon.. Dana
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views