SCARED!!!!!

cheryl_jagow
on 1/12/06 11:23 pm - CHESAPEAKE, VA
WHERE TO START!!!!! I THINK IM OVERWHELMED WITH EVERYTHING. IM SO SCARED RIGHT NOW. I HAVE HAD THOUGHTS OF BACKING OUT OF THIS. I WENT TO ALL OF MY SCREENINGS AND NUTRITION APPOINTMENT, PSYC APPOINTMENT, ALL IN ONE DAY. I WENT TO THE SUPPORT GROUP LAST NIGHT, I THINK THAT MADE ME MORE SCARED. I AM HAVING SURGERY FEB 22ND. WHICH IS RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD. I AM AFRAID, AFRAID OF A LOT OF THINGS. THIS IS A LIFE DECISION AND I AM AFRAID OF THAT. KNOWING I HAVE TO TAKE VITAMINS EVERY DAY JUST TO LIVE SCARES ME. WHAT IF I CAN'T GET THEM ALL IN? I WILL FEEL BAD AND SICKLY. I TRIED A PROTEIN DRINK THE OTHER DAY AND IT WAS HORRIBLE, JUST HORRIBLE. I KNOW IF I DON'T LIKE IT NOW I DEFIANTLY WONT LIKE IT AFTER SURGERY, AND HOW WILL I POSSIBLE MAKE MYSELF DRINK 2 OF THEM A DAY! AND THE FACT THAT MY ORGANS ARE GOING TO BE MOVED AND MADE INTO A NEW STOMACH SCARES ME. THERE IS NO GOING BACK. A LOT OF THE POS-OPS STATED THEY WISH THEY WOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER. AND SOME OF THEM STILL HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING IN ALL THERE NUTRIENTS. THEY HAVE ALMOST ALL HAVE LOST THEIR HAIR. I KNOW I WANT AND NEED TO GET THIS SURGERY DONE. I JUST AM REALLY SCARED. IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN AND IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN 6 WEEKS!!!!! I KNOW THIS IS A NORMAL FEELING TO BE SCARED. THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT!
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/12/06 11:36 pm - Danville, VA
Oh, HOney, these are all very normal feelings but if I had to do it over...I would without a doubt. I also had to have open but everything is fine. I still have a gastric tube in which is a nuicance if nothing else but what a miracle this is. I now have knuckles and knees!!!! I know, how silly is that but so many wow moments, hon. There are many different proteins to try...you will find one. It is the best thing I have done for myself ever. It is scarey but soon it will be over and you will be off on your new journey...if you need to talk, email me. You are so young and it is best to do it now...but the final decision is yours... Hugs, betsy
elvera
on 1/12/06 11:55 pm - LaPlata, MD
Sheryl, I also went to my first meeting last night. It was great to see the doctor's being real prople instead of just Doctors. I am having my surgery on the 31st of Jan. I'm not scared but I guess that comes with age and having had several surgeries in my life time. But it's OK to be scared. Just think of the benifit of having this surgery. Concentrate on those things. You will deal with the rest, when the time comes. and don't worry about loosing a little bit of hair. It may not happen to you and if it does it will come back. You will do just fine. We are all here to help you. If you want to talk send me an e-mail and I'll send you my phone number. I live in Williamsburg. Hang in there. We're all here for you. Oh''''' My the way I want to thank all of you on the board for your blessing. My blessing back to you all. Hugs Ellie
Carole V.
on 1/13/06 12:26 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Cheryl, Being scared is normal. I was scared too. But I was more afraid of living my life in pain and having to battle diabetes. I no longer have any pain, and although I may still develop diabetes in the future, at least with +100 lbs gone, it will be easier to manage. Losing your hair, while traumatic when it happens, is most often not noticeable by the general public, and it grows back! It's not permanent. Taking vitamins every day? It's like brushing your teeth, you develop a habit and then you wouldn't dream of missing it. Protein drinks? Not always necessary, a lot of people get in enough protein with solid foods, and a lot of doctors prefer that. There definitely are some decent tasting ones out there (try the Elite brand), and it helps to doctor them up with some sugar-free syrup or fruit. Deep breaths, reading successful profiles, daydreaming about your new wardrobe, checking out the before and after pics, these are some things that may help you get through the next 6 weeks. Good luck, Carole
wanda
on 1/13/06 12:42 am
Cheryl, Hang in there! Your feelings and being scared are normal. I am definitely one of those people who wishes they had done this years ago! I'm 44 and if I had been able to do this at 25 my life would have been much different. I'm very blessed, but would love to have not battled some health issues I did and would have enjoyed being much more active. My weight limited me in those areas. I agree with others, the vitamins become so natural you don't even have to think about taking them. The protein drinks... I'm not fond of them, but just treat them like medicine. I down them and forget about it. It's also true that with a little time you don't necessarily need to drink as many when you can focus your eating on high protein foods. (You also DO see a big difference in what you like before and after this surgery. You may find you like them after more than now.) I know it always sounds like a cliche, but it is so true -- nothing tastes as good as being thin and healthy feels. I have a 7 yr old and I have so much more energy to do things with her and enjoy her. I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world. Good luck to you and know that I'm keeping you in my prayers. Best wishes, Wanda
elizabethc03
on 1/13/06 3:31 am - Cypress, TX
Cheryl, Being scared is a good thing! It means that you are really understanding everything you will have to change and as we all know change can be very very hard. The vitamins aren't bad at all. As far as protein goes, I got the Profect "shots" and I've been getting all my protein in since about a week or so out. It's less than 3 oz each so even though I don't like them much I can hold my nose and fini**** off in about 10 sips. As far as hair goes my philosophy on that has been, who cares if you lose a little hair for a few months, you'll be healthier than when you started and it'll grow back better than before. Besides I would have gone bald and carried a purple monkey named Mr. Jangles around on my back before surgery in exchange for losing just 20 pounds and keeping it off. And look at me now, two weeks, 2 days out and I'm sown 20 pounds and feeling great. Email me anytime if you're feeling nervous or scared or whatever. I'm sure I can sympathize . Liz
DeniseinVA
on 1/13/06 10:58 am - Midlothian, VA
Cheryl, I know exactly how you feel. I am scheduled for surgery on 2/20. I have waited to be approved and get a date. Now that I have it and its almost here, I think about the reality of it all. You know what, my family and I are so at ease knowing that we have done all the research that we can, and have chosen in my opinion no one greater to operate on me. I know if something goes wrong and its a reality that it can, I have chosen a man who in my opinion is a genius when it comes to this surgery, that he will fix me back up. On the other hand, if its my time, than its my time. I have come to the conclusion that I need this surgery more than anything. I need this tool to keep me alive, not only surviving but finally living to the potential that I have in me. I will keep you in prayer that you will find peace. Ask all the questions you need to, do whatever it takes to know you are doing the right thing for you. Hugs Denise
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/14/06 4:23 am - Roanoke, VA
Wow....I thought I was the only one who was feeling that way. Let me tell you that you are not alone in how you feel. My surgery is on Tuesday morning and I am starting to freak out too. I am trying to stay as positive as I can and just think of the good things that can come out of the surgery. I am ready to stop having my weight dictate how I can live my life. I know what you mean about the protein shakes too...I bought soy protein by mistake, but I have been trying to drink a couple shakes a day before surgery just to get in the extra protein. They taste awful and taking the vitamins can be a real pain in the butt, but I will do what I have to, so I can make this work. I know that it will all be worth it in the end, and I cant wait for this part to be over with. Best of luck to you!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views