Ack! FINALLY got my surgery bills today...

Kathy & Rich
on 1/12/06 10:02 am - Fairfax, VA
Yes, it took all these months to get through insurances... I owe the surgeon about $150 but I owe the hospital a whopping $900. Ouch! Just what I needed after the wild spending frenzy aka Christmas. Ack, indeed. But then there are those that self pay so I consider myself pretty darned lucky to only have to pay this (plus a few small sundry extra amounts for what wasn't covered of the anesthesia and stuff). My back surgery and gallbladder were well covered by both insurances Don't think I got billed for much of anything for those. Thank goodness. Kathy
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/12/06 11:48 am - Danville, VA
OUCH...I know that hurt! At least you didn't have to pay for it all....it was worth it though....you look wonderful. I hope to look half as good as you when I reach goal. You lucky lady.... Hugs, Betsy
KathieKathie
on 1/13/06 1:09 am - Manassas, VA
Yeah, the hospital screwed up when they assigned my anesthesiologist. They're supposed to pick the ones that work with your insurance. They didn't, for me, so my insurance refused to cover it, at first. I was looking at about $1200 out of pocket just for that. I fought it, though -- after all, it's not like *I* picked the guy! It was the hospital's mistake! So... after one round of back and forth, they changed their decision and agreed to pay. $900 still isn't anything to sneeze at, though, and yeah, especially after the holidays. Maybe you could make more bite-size payments for a month or two until it's down to a level you could pay off in one fell swoop? Bills suck. ~Kathie
Lelandmm
on 1/13/06 4:16 am - Chesapeake, VA
Kathy, The hospital billed my insurance $18,500 for my stay. Of which I knew Ihad a $300 co pay. No big deal. My suregon billed my insurance $6500. My insurance's rate was actually like $11500 for the surgery and they slapped on some "co-insurance" thing they never told me about and I ended up with a $1400 bill for co-insurance plus my $300 copay! I was MAD. Luckily, my surgeon took the $2500 my insurance paid and didn't bill me for more. I fought the bill as long as I could, I kept sending it back telling them to rebill my insurance company. Finally I negotiated and got monthly payments. Well after like 3 payments, they sold the bill to like a collection agency. Of course this agency wanted it all, they have since sold it to another company. Its like after every 3rdpayment, they sell it to another company. I have noidea who I am supposed to pay anymore. Back in November, I had a CAT Scan. I am constantly having pain in my abdomen. ANyways, they billed my insurance $5300 for that damn Cat Scan. A CAT Scan I have NEVER gotten the results of by the way! I knew I had a $100 copay, but they hit me with that "co insurance " thing again and I got a bill for $417. I am currently fighting it. But I know I will loose in the end. After every lab work, procedure, ultrasound etc that I have had done, I get nickel and dimed to death with $30 and $50 bills from this department and that department that supposedly read or did the tests or whatever. I think honestly its almost easier if you are self pay because then you dont have to deal with all this insurance BS. My sister does mortgages and she's had several clients to take out a 2nd mortage on their house for either WLS or the corrective surgery afterward. Dealing with insurance is just a MAJOR PITA! Leland
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views