OT: Another Sister Update

Kathy & Rich
on 1/10/06 7:02 am - Fairfax, VA
My sister saw the surgeon today... Good news: 1. The surgeon thinks this is early stage cancer. 2. The surgeon thinks that unless the pathology shows otherwise that Pam won't need radiation and possibly not chemo (but probably hormonal therapy - Femara which is the newer replacement for Tamixofen). 3. The surgeon doesn't think that there is any cancer presently in the other breast. 4. The surgeon thinks the cancer is far out enough in the breast that the deep tissue and musculature are uneffected. 5. The surgeon does not feel anything in the lymph nodes but won't be sure until the sentinel nodes are biopsied. 6. The surgeon thinks that she can leave the skin of the breast intact for reconstruction. Other than good news: My sister decided on a bilateral mastectomy (removal of both breasts). There is more than one spot in the one breast that appears the same as the biopsied areas so a lumpectomy wouldn't be the surgery of choice. While my sister's other breast doesn't show any unusual signs at the moment she does have calcifications in that breast and the surgeon feels that down the road, that might be an issue. My sister wants to address this ALL now rather than wait for problems to surface. She'd rather go more drastic now but not have to worry about it later. I don't blame her and given the same information would opt to do the same. She has an appointment with the plastic surgeon about reconstruction surgery (she opted not to get implants) a week from Thursday. He is on vacation now. He is one of the doctors in the country that does a newer breast reconstruction wish does not use stomach muscle in the reconstruction and leaves many more blood vessels. The procedure is called DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator). Looks interesting from what I've read. So after she sees the plastic surgeon on the 18th, the two doctors will talk and align their schedules. That's the scoop! Thanks Everyone! PS, I called my Ob/Gyn regarding my mammogram which has been showing benign calcifications for two years to see what/if anything should be done given that there is new family history in the mix. The triage nurse is going to talk to her tomorrow and will call me back. Had a nice chat with the nurse about my own concerns to make sure that my health is looked after. Kathy
yvette223
on 1/10/06 7:20 am - winchester, VA
RNY on 01/24/06 with
That is great, i am very happy for you, and your sister, i will still keep her in my prayers. yvette
Kathy & Rich
on 1/10/06 7:46 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Jackie! I had a baseline mammogram at 35 and then my first other one at 40. Doc said I could go every other year until 50 but when I had mine at 42 they found calcifications so I've been going yearly for the past 3. I definitely believe in being proactive! Thanks, Kathy P.S. I still cannot get used to your new picture! Looks like a different person then I go "oh, Jackie!"
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/10/06 8:01 am - Danville, VA
Oh, Kathy, that is such great news...I am so happy for you both. God is out there working miracles everyday. I am also glad that you are going to get checked...it is good that you are willing to take care of you, too. God bless you both...you are still in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/06 8:34 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Kathy , I was thinking about you and your sister today . And I am glad to hear it is good news .. and this is good news . I too have calcifications .. and it manifested itself when I had my mammogram prior to surgery . I see the plastic surgeon next Friday and if all goes well , I will be scheduling a new mamo .. I can not take any chances . Again .. I am still praying for you all . Take care , Nat
TammyNVA
on 1/10/06 8:48 am - Chesterfield, VA
Kathy, That news sounds very promising! You all will still be in my prayers. I had my first mammogram at 28 after some strange drainage from both nipples. Turns out it was cysts breaking up. I've had 4 since then and all but the last time they had me come in for further looks with an ultrasound. Don't you think with all the modern medical techniques out there today there would be a better way to detect breast abnormalities than torture?!?! Some day they should be able to just put you in an MRI type machine once a year and figure out what's going on inside your entire body! Sorry for going off on that, but I just hate mammograms! Take care! Love ya, Tammy
cappymoon
on 1/11/06 12:30 am - Northern, VA
You and your sister continue to be in my prayers (So, wanna make a date for the gym??) Dianna
sue_smith
on 1/12/06 12:22 pm - Warrenton, VA
That's really great news!! Although I don't keep in touch as often as I should, you and your sister have been in my thoughts. I hope the New Year brings you both much joy, happiness and good health. Take care and I hope to see you soon Hugs Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views