Ok Post Op's - advise us Pre Op's

Smukums
on 1/8/06 8:49 am - Richmond, VA
I was hoping that those who have made it to the other side could share with us one or two things (or more if you have them!) of things that us pre op's should do to prepare for this surgery. It could be something that once you had the surgery you wish you had done "this" before hand. Any advice is good - small or big - I know I am kinda in limbo waiting for the insurance and I want to do everything possible to prepare and be "ready" for it. Thanks guys and keep up the hard work! You ALL inspire us! Nicole
SlimminShannon
on 1/8/06 9:01 am - Richmond, VA
Do not eat all you can thinking you will never be able to eat it again. Everyone told me this. I didn't listen. I went from 314 to 357 before I had surgery. I lick myself all the time thinking of how much weight I wouldn't have to lose now. I mean I would be under 200 now if I wouldn't have gained that weight. Start exercising now that way you are that much further ahead. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Instill in yourself how important protein and vitamins are. Get in the habit of taking your vitamins now. DO not feel like your life will be over food wise ater surgery because it isn't. The first few months are hard, but in all honeslty I am not deprived of anything. If I am craving a piece of cake I have some, but only a bite or two. it is all about learning your limits. I don't deprive myself of anything, but I don't make it an every day habit. I still love food but I love the new me more. I allow myself something really good once a week. It is enough for me. Shannon 357/240/135
Dave
on 1/8/06 9:21 am - Palmyra, VA
Nicole: Measure yourself before surgery! I didn't think about it until my first month post op and the number of inches I've lost makes me wonder how many I actually got rid of. That and I strongly suggest that you take some "regular" pictures. It seems to me that most people don't have too many pictures of themselves before surgery as they were camera shy. It's great to compare pre and post op pictures now. I still can't believe the changes I've gone through in only 9 months! I have to agree with Shannon, don't eat to eat now because you'd just be adding to what you'll have to get rid of later. Dave
SlimminShannon
on 1/8/06 12:40 pm - Richmond, VA
Dave ask Dr.Bautisa's office for your pre op inches. They measured me at my inital consult. Did they you?
Nancy M.
on 1/8/06 9:24 am - Mt. Jackson, VA
Do start and maintain a regular exercise program. The better shape you are in before surgery, the easier the recovery will be. Do cut down on junk food, sweets, fats, etc and eat sensibly. Do start taking a good multivitamin and calcium supplements, if you aren't already. Don't eat everything is sight thinking you have to have one last meal because you will never eat again. Fact is I can now eat just about anything I want. High fat and sugar foods still make me ill, but other than that I an enjoying all the foods I enjoyed before surgery, just in smaller servings. When packing for the hospital, include a pair of tongs to assist in your personal hygiene. Great for holding a wash cloth and tp. After surgery, follow the rules given to you by your surgeon and nutritionist about what and how much to eat. Add back one new food at a time so if something does not set well, you will know what triggered your bad feelings. When you are allowed solid foods, take small bites and chew well. Eat slowly and stop the second you begin to feel full even if you have not finished your measured portions. Hope this helps. Good luck.
DawnVA
on 1/8/06 9:28 am - VA
Nicole -- This isn't something you'll do beforehand, but a piece of advice that I believe continues to save my life AND my weight and keep me in control of my addiction to food. "JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN, DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD." That can apply a million different ways, but my specific meaning is for sugar. After surgery, don't try cake or cookies or sugared soda, etc. to "test" your pouch. Don't think, I'll just have a bite and if I don't throw up, that's fine, but I just won't eat anymore. BS. Stay clear of it. Post-op, eat like a diabetic. Sugar-free or very-low sugar everything. SO many things are made with Splenda and sugar-substitutes these days that you won't have any trouble finding sweet stuff for desserts. Plus sugar just leads to more sugar cravings...a very difficult cycle to break free of. I can only name a few people who can deal with their ability to eat sugary sweets wisely and many, many people who wish they hadn't messed with it in the first place. And to give credit where credit is due, this wasn't my idea, it was of course advice given to me by my surgeon and also my sister who is one year further post-op than me. She and I don't eat more than about 7 - 9 grams per serving of sugar. After 7 months, for me, it's carved into my brain. ) Soon, we look forward to getting advice from you!!! Dawn -84 lbs.
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/8/06 10:28 am - Danville, VA
Hi Sweetie...I know, I am a new post op but eating right and excersise is a great start... Good lUck.. Hugs a bunch Bettsy
kizie23
on 1/8/06 10:31 am - blacksburg, VA
Nicole, I think one of the hardest things for me has been not being able to sleep comfortably in my bed. One of the best things for me is that I have started to notice a change in my body. Please follow your surgeons directions for before and after they are the most important things. Melissa
elizabethc03
on 1/8/06 1:06 pm - Cypress, TX
I know this sound goofy but...put a case of water in your car. I've forgotten mine several times in the rush to get out the door since I haven't gotten into the habit yet, and having some stashed in the back seat has been a real money saver. Also, I ordered the Profect Protein shots and they have been an absolute lifesaver! They're far from yummy to me but I can tolerate most of the flavors enough to get the 2.9 oz. of it down. And for the last week I have met my protein and fluid intake goals. There's no way I could finish off a 8 oz. protein shake these days. Liz 11 days out and down 13 pounds
TammyNVA
on 1/8/06 5:18 pm - Chesterfield, VA
I'm going to second Liz's suggestion for the Profect drinks. I also call them shots, or bullets, because they come in a little tube. They are a bit pricey, but if you get them on Ubid.com it's cheaper. They have a variety pack with 4 that you can try first. Another thing I'd suggest is organize your clothes by size. As you're losing weight, you'll be looking for things that fit and this way you won't "miss" something and then find that your old "skinny" pants are now too big! Also, I cleaned my house thoroughly before surgery because I wouldn't have been able to relax and recover if I was thinking of what needed to be done around the house (maybe that's just me!) after surgery. Good luck! Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views