Sister Update

Kathy & Rich
on 1/6/06 7:26 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks everyone for their support and prayers, we do appreciate it! Talked to my sister today...the report was that the biopsy shows that she has both ductal and lobular carcinoma. Don't know if that means when the carcinoma gets outside of the ducts it is now lobular or it is two distinct things. Hers is not "in situ" meaning that it won't/hasn't spread. Hers is considered invasive. She does not know if it is the kind that feeds off estrogen. She is already post-menopausal and was never on hormone replacement therapy. The radiologist was floored and never expected the biopsy to come back positive. We have no family history of breast cancer - but as my sister pointed out...I doubt my mother ever had a pap smear let alone a mammogram so who knows what lurked there. The radiologist also was very sorry that they hadn't biopsied a similar looking place in her other breast so it looks like chances are that she has cancer in both breasts. I was reading last night and one of the cancers - don't remember if it was the ductal or the lobular but one of them is highly likely to be in both rather than just one. Don't know how far it has spread or if it is just in breast tissue. Don't know if there is lymph node involvement or not. She goes to see the surgeon on Monday afternoon, I believe. Not sure when she'll see an oncologist - if that is pre-surgery or immediately post surgery. My sister was in good spirits considering. I was commenting that she could get a tummy tuck out of this if reconstructive surgery was required and she laughed but also said "Or I could get implants..." with a snicker. I told her - "Your choice!" She reminded me to make sure that all my doctors know that we now have a family history especially since I've had calcifications on my mammogram (though nothing of note is being "watched" I just go for my yearly mammogram). She said I have two things to my advantage that she doesn't. I asked what. She said: "1. You don't smoke, 2. You don't live on Long Island". She said there are clusters of folks with cancer around the LI area. Wow, didn't know that. She is quitting smoking this weekend. She has been smoking since age 18. Hopefully her husband will follow suit. (Neither smoked in the house though.) That's the latest. Kathy
sylvia
on 1/6/06 7:37 am - Stafford, VA
Hi Kathy and Rich- I am so sorry I evidently missed your post about your sister. She will be in my thoughts an prayers now as well as you and Rich. Sylvia
Kathy & Rich
on 1/6/06 7:41 am - Fairfax, VA
Thank you, Sylvia! Best wishes, Kathy
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/6/06 7:53 am - Danville, VA
Hi Kathy...what is your sister's name? I can put her on the prayer list at church...she will be in my thoughts and prayers, you can count on it. If there is anything I can do, please let me know. Hugs, Betsy
Kathy & Rich
on 1/6/06 7:56 am - Fairfax, VA
Her name is Pam. Thanks! Hugs, Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/06 8:05 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Pam has my prayers and well wishes .. Breast Cancer can be beat .. and I am sure with you in her corner she already knows that .. she is lucky to have you Kathy .. Much love to you and your sis .. ! Natalie
Kathy & Rich
on 1/6/06 8:26 am - Fairfax, VA
Thanks, Pix!
elizabethc03
on 1/6/06 11:11 am - Cypress, TX
Kathy, I'm thinking good thoughts for your sister. My maternal Grandmother had breast cancer and managed to survive it way back in the late 60's, so here's hoping your sister will be as lucky. They're making medical miracles everyday! Best of luck and happy thoughts to all of you. Liz
TammyNVA
on 1/6/06 7:46 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Kathy, I'll continue to pray for Pam. Thanks for the update! **hugs** Tammy
kammcdonald
on 1/7/06 12:42 am - Norfolk, VA
Dear Kathy, I am so sorry to hear about your sister's breast cancer. It definitely CAN be beat, though, so I hope she continues with her positive attitude, and that she seeks the best treatment available. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. *Kam*
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views