Changed my Date

A10sFrau
on 1/5/06 11:53 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Just when I was getting everything settled--the scheduling sec. called me at work to say the doctor will be out of the state on the 16th, "unavoidable", "it happens" she said. I firmly believe that everything happens as and when it should, so I accept this. But, I think, since there were only 2 of us for surgery that week, he rescheduled us to a nearly full week and decided to go to Tahoe or Banff, Aspen. I am kidding but only partly. If it were a family emergency I would have expected to be told that. Conferences are planned way in advance. Maybe he decided to drive a child back to college and make a week of it. The big deal was not that I am mildly disappointed to have to wait another 9 days, or that they had already started me on the 5 shake diet needlessly, but rather all the plan changing involved at work AND at my sister's work. The postponement drasticly changes my lesson plans and the work I need to do with the sub. It can be accomplished though. I was struck with an AH HA moment this afternoon and figured out what to do with the beginning of the first Latin class to be taught at my HS in about 30 years. My sub has a PhD and I gave him the psych book, so I trust he will cover the lecture at the speed I indicate. My sister however, was greatly inconvenienced. She had given me such a hard time about scheduling my surgery to suit her (way back in Nov.) that I decided to have my daughter be my care-giver. The old date was great with my sis when I changed some plans and decided my son should stay at home/work as normal. The change puts my surgery on the first day of class at UMd, and she a a counselor in the College of Education there. She is the major one the graduate students come to to change their schedules. I told her I would understand if she couldn't do this. Cody and I would make out somehow, even though she was petrified in Richmond this past Tuesday. I even considered, very briefly, asking my dad to help out. Janny (sis) came through. She is composing an email for all her advisees telling them that if they even THINK they might need to see her it must be done before the 20th that she will be unavailable for the next 7 days. This is the woman who gives up annual like every year instead of using it all. She is that dedicated to her work. This is probaby a good learning event for her as well, doing something for family instead of feeling she is indispensible at work. I told her more than once how much I appreciate her extending herself for me this way. I will do the same for her if she ever needs me. So, that is my update. I decided to celebrate by declaring my 5 shake diet delayed for a week, by getting a Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad w/Balsamic Vinagrette from McDs. Had my first Power Crunch bar in forever as dessert and extra protein. I ended my eating day with 935 calories, 116 g protein. In my 1 1/2 days of 5 shakes I missed salad the most. I will go back on 5 shakes on January 11 with a grateful heart. Lois,
Susan E.
on 1/5/06 1:24 pm - Purcellville, VA
Oh, what a bummer. But it will be here before you know it. Keep that positive attitude you have and you will do just great. Hugs, Susan
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/5/06 7:15 pm - Danville, VA
Oh, Lois...I know exactly how you feel....Dr White said that I would be scheduled for surgery on one of the two last Friday's of November but then they called and made it for Dec 16th...so mine was postponed for almost a month. I was disappointed but still happy to have a date. Then the snow came and I was petrefied that we wouldn't make it to Roanoke. As you know, all worked out and was fine. At least now, you are prepared for the shakes so enjoy your salads....a salad was my last meal before surgery and I miss them...a couple more weeks and I can then start to have them again. Like you I miss my salads most. Wish I could help you out! I was pretty much alone right after surgery and did ok. If you need anything, please let me know. Love ya, girl...you will be a loser soon.. Hugs Betsy
A10sFrau
on 1/5/06 7:26 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi Betsy, I brought the raw carrots I had at work for a snack back home and now I can take them back again. One good thing--because of the 5 shakes I had cut back my morning shake by half, so that all could be spread out through the day. Yesterday morning I noticed that 8 oz was just fine. I have saved calories this way! I am determined NOT to double up again. The double Nectar I fix at lunch I take about an hour to drink, so I am not keeping my stomach used to food stretching it all the time. I will eat crunchies every day until 5 shake days return. I really didn't mind the 5 shakes. When I felt like I needed something in my stomach I had sf jello. Have a good day, Betsy Lois
TammyNVA
on 1/5/06 8:36 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Oh Lois, I'm sorry for your disappointment and ensuing craziness, trying to reorganize your life. I'm glad your sister was able to be there for you! Eat all the salad you can, sister! I miss crunching... and especially salads and raw fruit. I know, I know... eventually. You are doing GREAT! Keep it up!! Tammy PS: I took Latin in high school (1 semester) and all I remember is "vestus verim redit" (probably spelled wrong)... "clothes make the man." Of course, that was about 30 years ago!!
kizie23
on 1/5/06 8:40 pm - blacksburg, VA
Lois, I am so sorry about the date change. I must say that you were way more positive than I could have ever been. I am also glad that you had a well deserved meal. I am glad that your sister was able to make plains to be there with you. I can only imagine how crazy her schedule must be with the students. She sounds like a great sister. Melissa
Debbie in va beach
on 1/6/06 1:49 am - virginia beach, VA
Hey Lois, My date was changed a little while back also because the surgeon would be out of town! They must all be partying together at some surgeon conference. You've got a great attitude. Glad to hear you can work out all the details. Best of luck Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views