Good Morning, VA

Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 9:32 pm - Danville, VA
Hi My Sweet Kat....I think if I tried a nana, I would gag. just don't think I can do it but I may try later...I just had 12 oz of my protein drink. The jar says that it has potassium in it too. maybe I will do a smoothie with a nana in it later. Hugs Betsy
TammyNVA
on 1/4/06 8:59 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Good Morning Betsy, I'm sorry about your charlie horse! I haven't had them in a while, but KNOW how painful they can be! My husband gets cramps in the arch of his feet sometimes, mostly when his sneakers are getting worn out. Glad your sneezing is slowing down. I got an ichy nose yesterday that lasted for HOURS and thought of you. I'm glad you are moving around more and having a good time with your son. I finally did some honest to goodness exercising yesterday and felt GREAT!! (read posting under Kat's post) Have a WONDERFUL day **hugs** Tammy
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 9:33 pm - Danville, VA
Hi tammy! I am glad you are getting some really good excersise...it is so important and I know that I need more than I am getting at this point. I have a terrible back ache...the fibromyalgia kicking in. You also have a wonderful day. Hugs, Betsy
KathieKathie
on 1/4/06 9:03 pm - Manassas, VA
Hiya sweetie! Bad things like toxins build up in your muscles, and have to be flushed out. That's part of what drinking so much does for you -- it helps keep those toxin levels down. When you've got too much of the bad stuff, and not enough of the good stuff (like potassium and other minerals) in your cells, the muscle will spasm and cramp. So... you might need to increase your fluid intake. Are you also taking thiamin (B1)? Keep a close eye on that cramping issue. If they persist, regularly, I would suggest going back to your doctor for some tests. I had horrible horrible problems with the cramping here not too long ago. They did bloodwork to check my nutrients and all, and everything was in the normal range. When I increased my fluids, the cramps stopped. That, and I have a banana a day. Also, listen to your cravings. You can decipher what your body is low on most of the time through those cravings. Caveat: yes, some of them are just head-hunger. But we all learn to differentiate. For example... craving steak might be a symptom that you're low on iron. Craving cheese and milk might be a sign you want some more vitamin D and calcium. And then there are the vegetables... I can never remember which ones are good for what. I tend to try and ignore the carb cravings, and listen to the meats and veggies voices. Oh, and when I get a cramp, I grab a small glass of V-8 juice. The cramp goes right on away, so much easier than just trying to work it out all on my own. Being newly post-op, though... you'll probably have some cramping from time to time. Remember, your body's going through a lot right now. Whole lotta purging going on. But definitely keep an eye on it. And call your doc if you really get that 'something is wrong' feeling. hugs, Kathie
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 9:35 pm - Danville, VA
Kathie, thanks for all the great information. Makes alot of sense to me. I will increase my water for sure. I see my reg doctor next week and she will do some bloodwork. It is funny how I can't seem to get all my fluids, food and protein in but working hard on it. Yesterday I did slip a little. Trying to stay busy. Hugs, Betsy
kizie23
on 1/4/06 11:23 pm - blacksburg, VA
Good Morning Betsy, I am having an OK day myself. Woke about 7am, walked through the house to wake up my daughter. I swear kids say the darnedest things. I woke her up, she sat up in bed and said, " Mom can I please just have one more," I asked her what she was meant, she said, "Mom please just one more kiss to make sure I am awake." I gladly gave her the kiss and she proceeded to get up and dressed. She really is the light of my life. Hope you have a good rest of the day. Melissa
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/5/06 5:45 am - Danville, VA
Melissa, that is soo sweet. I miss my kids being young again. My 28 year old is here helping me and he is a dynomite cook...he is cooking me dinner tonight. Course I have to puree everything but it will be good. Glad you are feeling good. Hugs, Betsy
spaceystacey
on 1/4/06 11:24 pm - Littleton, NC
Betsy, Good morning! I am so happy to see that you are doing so well. I am so proud of you! I hope you have a great day! Enjoy your time with your son! hugs, Stacey
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/5/06 5:47 am - Danville, VA
Hi Stacey....Thanks for the encouragement. I have done quite a bit of walking and moving today. Tomorrow I have an appt with the neurologist and then tomorrow afternoon, packing....I stay busy and that is a good thing. Hugs, Betsy
SaltyDog
on 1/5/06 11:21 am - Dumfries, VA
Hiya Bets... Ya know, when I was dieting I'd always get these horrible leg and calf cramps as soon as the diet took hold and I switched to losing weight....Sounds like you might have the same symptoms. It's a mixed blessing....on the one hand, it hurts like hell...on the other hand, it's a sign your diet is working! The good thing is, they go away after a couple of days. I made sure I got lots of potassium, and vitamin D & E. I also took ibuprufen (motrin), since it seemed to have some muscle relaxant effects. Your doctor may not allow that though, after I had my operation I'm limited to tylenol only. Supposedly quinine helps with night cramps. I got some (diet) tonic water, let it go flat, and drank a glass of that before bedtime. (You can't have carbonation with your new stomach.) That seemed to help too. Also, off topic: Wal-Mart and other pharmacies have some skin cream/ointment called "Mederma" that is good for healing incisions without a lot of scarring. You may want to try some. My wife swears by it after her gall bladder operation this last summer. Deja
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views