my visit to the ER

spaceystacey
on 1/4/06 2:14 pm - Littleton, NC
Frusturating, to say the least. I got IV fluids - didn't even get 1/8 of the bag before they yanked it. I was supposed to get pain meds and the nurse came with the order after the IV was pulled out. She offered me a shot instead, I said "no thanks" I wasn't too keen on being stuck again after the pain I was in. My labwork was "good" and the x-rays were normal. Other than take vitals, that was all they did. I left the hospital with scripts for ulcer medication and vicodin. I refuse to take the vicodin right now because it is rough on my stomach. Should I really take an ulcer medication without verifying that I actually have an ulcer? My belly still hurts and I don't have any answers. The ER doc said that he didn't think it was surgery related and seemed very glib about the whole thing. If it isn't surgery related why does it hurt when I swallow ANYTHING? I guess I will call my surgeon in the morning. I don't know what else to do. Something just doesn't feel right. Three and a half hours of my life wasted when I could have just waited for the upper gi to be scheduled. I feel like such an idiot right now. Anyway, I think I will head off to bed now. Hopefully I will feel better in the morning. Stacey
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 7:06 pm - Danville, VA
Aww, Stacey, My heart really goes out to you. Some ER's are so uncaring....like you shouldn't be there...go figure...you are in pain so they prescribe something you aren't sure you need..I think alot of drs need (and er's) to learn more on WLS. It really is a shame but so goes life, huh? We have been through so much to start with and we are only trying to get healthy. Call your surgeon first thing this morning and I am sure he will get it all straight. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please let us know how things go...We are on your side, Sweetie. Hugs, Betsy
A10sFrau
on 1/4/06 7:44 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Better safe than sorry. One of the "call the doctor criteria" we were given Tuesday was "if you just don't feel right inside". Sounds like you qualify. Don't beat yourself up for going to the ER. Don't let your surgeon's office put you off either. You are your ownly advocate. God luck this a.m. Lois
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 8:58 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Stacey, I would definitely call your doctor as soon as possible. But I think I have heard that some doctors prescribe some sort of stomach pill just automatically because of stomach problems, like pre ulcer. I know I take prilosect (I think that's how you spell it) and since I have been taking it I have had absolutely no problem. I am only supposed to take it for a couple of months since it is temporary. So you might have to do something like that. I hate ER's! They are so good when you need them, but you really go through the loops don't you! Keep us posted! donna
donnap
on 1/4/06 9:01 pm - Collinsville, VA
Oh, honey, I would absolutely call your surgeon. I've known of others who have gone through similar symptoms and needed a quick, outpatient scope. Turns out that both of them had strictures which, were immediately taken care of. I'll be thinking about you & saying a little prayer that this is cleared up right away. Hugs, Donna P
elizabethc03
on 1/5/06 8:46 am - Cypress, TX
Stacey, Don't forget that your surgeons office probably has an answering service that can contact you doctor and have him call you. If you're really in pain and think something is really wrong he can always admit you to the hospital and get you started on an IV and pain meds before getting you in for an upper GI tomorrow. Your best indicator of how you really are is the signals your body sends out...don't let anyone minimize the importance of those signals your getting. And blow off the ER people, it's been my experience from the many times I've been in that they treat everyone like that, "rush em out and free up the bed". Hope you feel better soon. Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views