Snacks

cappymoon
on 1/4/06 7:05 am - Northern, VA
Good evening Virginia I need a little help this evening. I need to get away from the carbs when I snack, what do you guys snack on that is FULL of flavor?? I dont like bland foods, but I can see myself getting into bad habits again (Although I think I have kicked the peanutbutter m & m's to the curb! ). I just need something to hold me over till dinner time, in the middle of the afternoon. So, any suggestions?? Thanks, Dianna
Lelandmm
on 1/4/06 7:17 am - Chesapeake, VA
Diana, Do you like meat? Turkey Jerky or Beef Jerky might be a good thing to try. Its LOADED with protein, very low fat and low in calories. Do you like cereal? I love Special K. The regular stuff in the white box. It has 7 grams of protein per serving. If I have it around, I am less likely to grab cookies or chips. There are other carb friendly cereals out there too with protein. Do you want something sweet? The South Beach Diet line of foods has cookies and other snacky items like bars that are low sugar and the bars even have like 10 grams of protein and they taste really good! It is SO hard! Especially when we see people around us with candy, chocolate, CRAP. Its Esp hard for me, because I know I can eat anything at any time and nothing makes me sick, so I dont even have the threat of a dump to ward off a trip to the candy dish. Leland
cappymoon
on 1/4/06 7:24 am - Northern, VA
Leland, What great ideas!!! I LOVE special K, or I did a year ago, I never thought about it dry!! I am getting a box tomorrow!! I am a crunchy person anyways!! And the south beach stuff, I will look into that as well! Thanks so much!!! Dianna
Kathy & Rich
on 1/4/06 7:20 am - Fairfax, VA
Jerky Nuts (we prepackage ours in 1 oz increments to prevent portion size stretching; I take whatever nuts and mix them with spices and olive oil and bake them - making them spiced nuts and really crunchy - adds flavor!) String Cheese Protein Shake (I always do one in the late afternoon to hold me over to dinner) Peanut butter on celery sticks (love it) Pepperoni chips (nuke them on paper towels or fry them in a skillet and drain) - yumm... Cream cheese on celery sticks Stallone Protein Pudding with light cool whip
cappymoon
on 1/4/06 7:26 am - Northern, VA
Kathy, What kind of spices do you put on the nuts?? That one sounds like a good idea, and do you weigh them for a 1oz portion, or how do you measure?? Again, great ideas!! Thanks so much!! Dianna
Kathy & Rich
on 1/4/06 7:53 am - Fairfax, VA
I use a food scale to determine portion size at an ounce. Spiced Pecans (can use almonds, hazelnuts, macadamias, or a mixture of all) 1 cup Splenda 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp cloves 1/4 tsp nutmeg 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 4 cups pecan halves 2 egg whites, slightly beaten Directions Preheat oven to 300 degree. In a bowl, combine Splenda, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, cloves, nutmeg and cayenne pepper, and set aside. In another bowl, combine pecans and egg whites until nuts are well-coated. Tos nuts in dry ingredients and spread on a foil lined baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes; toss and bake for about 10 minutes more. Let cool and store in airtight container. .......... CRISP SPICED NUTS 2 large egg whites 1 1/2 teaspoons salt 3/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons paprika (preferably Hungarian sweet*) 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne 1 1/2 cups whole blanched almonds (about 1/2 pound) 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts (about 1/2 pound) 1 1/2 cups pecans (about 1/2 pound) 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled * available at specialty foods shops and many supermarkets Preheat oven to 325?F. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with salt until very foamy and gradually beat in sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and cayenne. Stir in nuts and butter, combining well, and spread in a large shallow baking pan. Bake nuts in middle of oven, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden, about 30 to 40 minutes. Spread nuts on a sheet of foil and cool. Break up nut clusters. Nuts may be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes about 4 1/2 cups. ............. Spiced Pecans 4 T Butter or butter flavored cooking oil 1-1/2 T Worcestershire sauce 2 t Soy sauce 1/2 t Ground ginger Few drops Tabasco sauce, or to taste 2 C Pecan halves Salt to taste Serves Many Directions: Mix butter or oil and seasonings in 2-quart glass casserole dish. Add pecans and stir well to coat. Microwave on high for 6 to 8 minutes or until pecans are light brown, stirring after 4 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn. Drain on paper towels. Store in tight container. Experiment by varying the spices to your liking (e.g., five-spice powder, garlic powder, etc.) http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=recipe1395&search=true&resultNo=5 http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe2875.htm
Sporty Jill
on 1/4/06 9:11 am - Norfolk, VA
YUM-O! These sound AWESOME! Thanks for the recipes! Jill 263/213/145
Sporty Jill
on 1/4/06 8:55 am - Norfolk, VA
Well, since I have to HAVE a snack (no desire for it, but need to - doctor's orders), I have a SF Black Cherry Jello cup w/ a dollop of FF whipped cream. Pudding is too heavy (can you believe that???) But, I'm sure that not what you are looking for. Jill 263/213/145
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 9:31 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Gurl - I am so glad for you for kicking those M and Ms to the curbage .. Do you like Cheese Nips .. Well I gotta a snack for you . Take some Chedar Cheese ( From the Brick ) Shave it into a hot pan .. ( Non Stick ) Let it cook up till it gets crispy .. and Wala .. Your very own healthy cheese nips .. Minus the carbs ! So you want another good one .. Take yogurt .. any flavor .. Low carb that is .. Get you some South Beach Cereal .. put about 2 oz or half a handfull in the yogurt .. it is dreamy .. Apples dipped in SF \ Low Carb Peanut Butter . Pears too Think of snacking if you must snack .. and I am sure some of us do .. I know I do .. as your pouchy getting a treat .. Just make sure it is good stuff .. I love Kathys reciepe for the Nuts .. I am going to try those .. Also .. if you really want to have some good eats .. try freezing your yogurt .. it turns into icecream .. and is yummy . If I can think of any more I will send them to you . Love ya .. Nat
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 8:53 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
hmmm yummy Natalie!! Thanks for the cheese nips tip. I'm going to try it!! love donna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views