Mom's of Little Ones . . .

lookin2lose2
on 1/4/06 4:24 am - Fairfax, VA
RNY on 01/27/06 with
How did you manage taking care of your little one after the surgery? We have a 8 month old and although my husband is wonderful I know our baby loves being with his Mommy. It's making me so very sad that I will be in the hospital and not at home with him. I'm having surgery at Fair Oaks - are children allowed to visit? Thanks, Jean
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/4/06 5:05 am - Roanoke, VA
Hey Jean, I have a 2 year old little girl and I have wondered the same thing. Luckily my mom is coming over from Roanoke to watch her while I am in the hospital and recovering, but I still worry about her understanding. She loves to jump on me and play and I dont want to hurt her feelings when I tell her that she cant. I am hoping she can visit me in the hospital too. My husband will be on convalescense (sp??) leave while I am recovering, but it isnt the same as me taking care of Kaitlyn. Hopefully you will have a fast recovery so you can be with your son again Good luck to you!!
kabarron1
on 1/4/06 5:34 am - Hopewell, VA
I have a two and a four year old and I decided not to allow them to visit me in the hospital because I was afraid it would be too dramatic on them. I repeatedly explained the what's and the why's of why Daddy is having the surgery. Had Lap-RNY and told him there was going to be 6-7 little cuts on Daddy's belly. Even though he knew there would be cuts there, he almost started crying when he saw the incisions. It really upset him and he said, "Daddy, I don't like that the Doctor's hurt you." You might want to take that into consideration. Just a thought. Keith 310/224/???
lookin2lose2
on 1/4/06 7:25 am - Fairfax, VA
RNY on 01/27/06 with
Thanks Keith - I never thought about that perhaps seeing me isn't a good idea. I think you are right. Thanks!
kabarron1
on 1/4/06 9:14 am - Hopewell, VA
Jean, You're more than welcome. That's what we're all here for....to provide each other with our own unique expericences as a results there of. Best of luck in your journey and when you're able....make sure you hold those babies up high! Keith 310/224/???
MrsTonyaBrown
on 1/4/06 7:30 am - Jacksonville, FL
My daughter was 18 months old at the time of my surgery. My mother came up for the week of my surgery and the week after to look after her and hubby took off the following four weeks to help out. (I had a feeding tube so I needed the extra time.) Mother kept her very busy so baby didn't really miss me that much and hubby did the same so that she didn't want to climb all over me too much. The hospital said that kids under age 11 weren't allowed in the patient rooms, but my toddler came to visit me almost every night with no problems. All she wanted to do was explore the room. Maybe she just understood that I didn't feel too well. It was stressful thinking of her being without me for that length of time, but it was also nice to rest in the hospital without hearing "momma" a hundred times and having the little monkey climbing all over me. Believe me, while you will miss them, you'll appreciate the peace and quiet while you recover. Hugs, Tonya
elizabethc03
on 1/4/06 11:03 am - Cypress, TX
Jean, I have a three year old daughter. Being only one week out of surgery I'm able to take care of most of her need. I just have to tone down playtime and I can't bathe her or pick her up (she's 35 lbs and I have a 15 lb. limit). I've also been modifying how I do things with her, like at storytime we lay on my bed and get all propped up on pillows instead of reading on the couch. Also, I've been napping with her in the afternoon and I swear it's helped with recovery 100%. Sentara Norfolk didn't allow kids to visit but I was only there for two night so it wasn't a huge deal. I had my parents come to help out (Meg thought it was so cool to hang out with Grandma and Papa for a few days) and my hubby is doing lots more than usual. Also, I think kids sense, even if they don't understand the words, that Mommy isn't 100%. Best of luck with your surgery and remember that your son, who is probably a big part of why you're doing this just like my daughter is for me, will thank you some day for all that extra time you'll have with him because you'll be healthy! Liz
Kitty Kat
on 1/4/06 8:47 pm - Richmond, VA
Hey Jean! We had Kayla around and she was 2 1/2 when I had surgery. My hubs DID bring her to the hospital to visit me. I am a lil' different about docs and such because she was preemie and dealt with TONS of docs from birth on. She wasn't at all upset by it other than wanting me to walk and at the time I couldn't. (had sugar and bp issues) Think it's a person to person case. She wasn't really old enough to get it but was funny to compare "Mommy's tubes" to the ones she had on her in pictures. Even to this day (she'll be 5 Jan. 20th) she'll say Momma you had this and so did I...the tubes and such... Hugs, Kitty Kat
ElizabethC
on 1/4/06 9:17 pm - Wirtz, VA
I have a 2 year old daughter and a 6 year old daughter. The oldest can bathe and fix herself snacks and such without much assistance, but the baby is my concern, too. In anticipation that I'll not be able to lift her for quite some time, I'm already preparing ways to be able to still care for her. I can do diaper changes on the couch or bed, her big sister can get her out of the crib in the morning, hub can bathe her and put her in bed at night, and I can have her climb onto a chair to get into and out of the crib for naptime. I'm also lining up people to help me around the house for at least 2-3 weeks (hey, they can stay and do laundry and dishes as long as they want to!!) Eliz.
SlimminShannon
on 1/5/06 4:02 am - Richmond, VA
My son went to stay in FL with his grandmother for 2 weeks. Although I missed him terribly it was the best for me. He is 4, 3 at the time and he is very rough. When he came back we just explained that mommy had surgery and he could sit on my lap but I could not pick him up. Now he is the food police. The other day I took a bite of his ice cream and he said MOMMY you cannot eat that you had surgery and it will make you sick..LOL Then when he wants to share his food he will say mommy you want a bite? I will say no. He says it doesn't have sugar and it has protein..LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views