Smoking???????

elvera
on 1/4/06 3:15 am - LaPlata, MD
Hi to you all. I have a major problem!!!!! I have been smoking for 40 years. I stopped for 3 days. But today I just had to have a cig. The thing is is that I also have diebetes, and I am having troble controlling it. Last night it was over 300. Now they say that I need to get the number controlled befor surgery. So when I don't smoke I eat more which makes my blood sugar go up. And I'm suppose to stop smoking for the surgery. One of the big reasons for the surgery is the diabetes, so what if my sugar isn't controlled? That's what the surgery is for. The smoking is another thing. Anyone out there have a problem with smoking???? Please let me know how far in advanced did you stop before surgery. Or didn't you.... I need some help!!!!!!! My surgery date is Jan. 31. And thanks you all for the wonderful welcome a few days ago..... Elvera
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 4:50 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Sweety . I am going to tell you hard and cold . STOP NOW . I was a smoker and diabetic before surgery . When my surgeon said stop .. I did .. was it hard .. HELL YEA .. I thought I would die with out my ciggies . But what was more important was I would die with them . I had to ask myself how bad I wanted this surgery .. and I wanted it baaaaaddd .. I know it is hard .. and finding options when trying to quit there are many . I quit 12 weeks prior to my surgery date . I wish you all the luck in the world .. and we are here for you . Always, Pix .. ( who yes stil smokes but is quiting .. ( one day )
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 5:05 am - Danville, VA
Elvera, Like Nat said....STOP now...I hadn't smoked for years before the surgery but I must say that a week after, I am a smoker again.. I am not proud of it but please do what the doctor says....It is best for you and the surgery. Hugs,\ Betsy
Carole V.
on 1/4/06 5:39 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Elvera, Yes, you have a major problem. As the others said, stop now! and don't have a "just in case" pack anywhere near you. If you have to, white knuckle it, but keep that smoke out of your lungs for the next few weeks. I have heard too many horror stories of people going into comas because they smoked and didn't quit (and didn't tell their surgeon that they didn't quit). You're wrong when you say "the smoking is another thing", not related to surgery. Sure the main reason for you to have the surgery is to control (and hopefully eliminate) your diabetes, but the main reason to stop smoking is to survive the surgery. So please stop playing mind games and don't try to justify smoking. Keep a supply of sugar-free mints and suck on those things all day if you have to. Keep cut up carrots and celery handy too. Smoking is such an oral habit, if you can substitute something in your mouth for the cigs, it may help. Just don't substitute with white flour or sugar, as that is probably causing your blood sugars to go up. Bless your heart and Good luck to you, Carole
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 9:24 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
I normally do not hi-jack .. But Carole .. everytime I see your smiling face .. I just beam .. you are such a great soul and I miss seeing you around the boards ! And I miss seeing you period . I hope in 06 we have more get togethers down your way . Hugs. Pix
Jo R.
on 1/4/06 6:27 am - Blackstone, VA
I dont know about the sugar. But I too had/have smoked for over 25 years. I slowly cut back about a month before, then 2 weeks before I totally stopped. I smoked a pack a day, and sorry to say Im back at it Its the only vice I have left, and the only one that doesnt have calories lol. Just like dieting, just thinking you have to quit and will never be able to "have" it again just adds to the pressure. Walking helped me, I couldnt smoke and walk at the same time! Hang in there, youre not alone and the day will be here before you know it! Big Hugz! ~Jo
Lelandmm
on 1/4/06 6:52 am - Chesapeake, VA
Elvera, Did you see the episode of Dr 90201 where he had a patient who had lied and said she quit smoking and she didn't? She had MAJOR respitory issues with the anesthiesia. He had to stop because he thought she was going to die. Eventually they got her situated and he was able to finish quickly. My surgical practice actually runs tests to verify you have quit smoking, and if their paitents dont, they get rescheduled. They aren't even going to take the risk. You have to keep in mind, putting an obese person under is dangerous, an obese SMOKER, you are just asking for trouble. You just have to do everything in your power to quit and be at smoke free for as long as possible pre-surgery. If you can't quit 100%, be HONEST with your surgeon and your anesthiesiologist. They put you under based on what you tell them. So PLEASE do not lie and say you quit. Give them an exact count of cigs per day for at least the week before. If you are too much of a risk, they may reschedule you after you have quit. They aren't asking you to quit to be mean, they just want you to LIVE! Leland
elizabeth b-c
on 1/4/06 9:46 am - Charlottesville, VA
Sweetie, I'm with the hard-liners here. You have to quit. As obese people, anesthesia is a risk already, and smoke-damaged lungs don't deal with it well. My doctor also tests for nicotine in the blood, and will reschedule your surgery if he finds it. One of my friends quit, but was using the patch, and tested positive for nicotine. They cancelled his surgery, and he never went back. You really need to quit. My doc also makes you get off caffeine, and although I don't smoke, and never did (well...something other than tobacco a few times in my wilder times) I had a hard time with the caffeine - I was drinking the equivalent of 10 cups of coffee a day for many years. The amazing thing is, I don't need it anymore to stay alert and awake all day. I think it is from my apnea going away. Well, many hugs, and good luck. You can do this, and you'll be so much healthier. My diabetes is gone, and I was on 190 units of insulin a day. Hugs, elizabeth 359/243/160
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views