CONFUSED ABOUT CONSULT

noseybritches26
on 1/4/06 2:51 am - Richmond, VA
Hi, everyone! I had my consult today with Dr. Schroeder and I am so disappointed. I left with hardly any information and was instructed to go to a seminar before they would file papers to my insurance. I have no problems going to a seminar, but they are really pushing the LapBand on me. I do want more kids in the future, but I do not want to wait 3 years or so to be at my goal weight. I am so confused! I could cry! I was under the impression that my doctor would sit down with me and explain both types of surgery and then discuss with me, which one he thought would be best for me. But instead I had a nurse practioner and she did not explain either, but told me that I was supposed to know which one I wanted. I flat out told her that I was disappointed and that going to the seminar is fine, but I would hope the doctor would sit down and talk it all out with me first. Who out here has had the LapBand? Did you lose the weight rapidly or slowly? Please help me... I am so confused and upset. I really researched my surgeon and thought I had chosen a good one, but now I feel like he just does lap band
elvera
on 1/4/06 3:32 am - LaPlata, MD
Kristin, I am having surgery on the 31st. And I haven't talked to the Doctor. I did go to the siminar where he explained everything. And was able to ask questions. I wanted to get the lap band since my neice in Germany had it . But my insurance will not pay for it. And the fact that it is a slower process. One thing tho it is reversible. My neice lost 80 pounds in about 1 year. Holding steady right now. Needs to get her band tightened. So I've decided on the laposcopic Bypass. Permanent!!!! Go to the seminar and see what he says and make your decision on how you feel about this doctor and how permanent you want this. There are other doctors out there. I will be having mine done from Dr. Terrasina. I like him and he was really nice and informative. Don't forget you have to like the doctor and have confidence in him. Talk to other people that he has done surgery on. It is not a decision to make lightly. Elvera
elizabeth b-c
on 1/4/06 4:08 am - Charlottesville, VA
Kristin, check out my profile. Down at the bottom are comments about Dr. S. I am currently having complications, but he is working with me long distance, and with my PCP, to try to get things resolved. I went for the bypass, too, because of the reports I have heard about the band taking a long time and not working for people as large as I was. I am down 116 in four months and five days. Hugs, elizabeth 359/243/160
Dave
on 1/4/06 4:43 am - Palmyra, VA
Kirstin: You have to decide if you want to try another surgeon or not based on your dealings with the group you're now with. Do some more research on surgeons available to you and if you have to go to several seminars, do it! Find a group that offers what you'll need to get through all of these decisions and changes. I found my surgeon in Richmond even though I live 15 minutes from UVA. Look around and visit the seminars. All of them sound great but the more I hear about all of them, there seem to be only a few that go the extra mile. Good luck in your decision. Dave
A10sFrau
on 1/4/06 4:48 am - Rockbridge Co., VA
Hi Kirstin, As with ANY doctor, if you aren't happy with him find someone else. I met Dr. Kellum, MCV, at the consult. He does not do lap band surgery. I was very impressed with him and his entire staff. I have come home with a large volume of information both times I have been there. If you don't like the idea of MCV, try Dr. Hutcher who is also nationally known. Many of the board members have been to him. Shop around. Look for an accredited program. There is nothing saying you have to have a procedure done by someone you haven't even MET!!! MCV and other nationally accredited bariatric surgery programs spend great amounts of time on patient education. They must, to maintain their accreditation. I have already seen a dietician twice, Dr. Kellum, Dr. Lee the surgical fellow, the NP, the nurse educator twice, spoken with the admin. asst twice, as well as the anesthesia dept. and others. I can't say enough good about the patient ed. program. And, I have worked in 3 diff hospitals and am VERY critical of anything I see as substandard care. Please shop around and find a program that makes you happy! Lois
elizabethc03
on 1/4/06 11:11 am - Cypress, TX
Why would they push lap band... just because you want more kids later on? I just had the lap RNY done and I was told that in 12-18 months I could have another child if I was diligent about my nutrition and as long as I wasn't having any problems before becoming pregnant. Yeah, I'll have to watch every single bite I eat and have more blood tests but so what...I would go to the seminar your surgeon has and also another one with another surgeon and compare the two. This is life changing and you really do need to be confident in your surgeon and make the decision that is right for you and only you with your doctor and all the information. Best of luck! Liz
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views