Pre op tests

Iamspoi1ed
on 1/3/06 3:03 pm - Roanoke, VA
Hello everyone....I just wanted to say hi real quick....I went and had my pre-op tests done this morning (and well into the afternoon) at St. Mary's. I am really glad that no one clued me into that whole arterial blood gas test thing...It was bad enough having it done, but if I had known before-hand I would have freaked. It took forever, so I am glad it is all over with. I dont think that ABG lab would have been so bad if the girl who was TRYING to do it knew how to draw blood. I ended up having to be stuck in the wrist 4 times before they got it.....it is an artery!?!?! How can sticking a needle in it NOT result in it bleeding!?!?! (ok, I am done whining now ) Is it obvious that I hate needles??? Anyway, I am one step closer to my date and I am starting to get excited......I cant imagine what it would be like to be small, especially since I never have been. I would like to be able to run too.....or do any kind of exercise for any length of time without tiring. Those of you that are post op, what is the best thing about losing the weight???? I am interested in some of the things that I will be able to do after the surgery. Any ideas? Talk to ya soon
A10sFrau
on 1/3/06 7:52 pm - Rockbridge Co., VA
Sounds like you had an incompetent boob working on your blood gas. I don't ever left anyone stick more than twice. If they screw up twice I insist they find a superior to draw the blood. I worked at the VA in Salem a millenium ago, but I never saw a blood gas sample drawn from anywhere but the artery that passes near the elbow. Medicine has advanced exponentially since I was there. I had three tubes of venous blood taken yesterday, but no blood gases, not even a chest x-ray. It took all of 60 seconds to do the ekg. My husband was at UVa in 2004 and I saw MUCH newer equipment at MCV and am very happily surprised. Headin' to work, L Lois
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/4/06 12:21 am - Roanoke, VA
Yeah, the girl had to be new or something....it was just crazy because it hurt pretty bad and I was hoping that it would just be over with. Oh well, I am really glad it's over now!! Anyway, it is good that you didnt have to have a lot of stuff done yesterday..No central line or epidural for you when u have your surgery either! I am so jealous!!! Both are standard for my doc so I am just going along with it. I figure he must know what is best, soooo...Anyway, I have to get going and get my baby ready to go to the sitter.... Have a good day at work!!! Mary
wanda
on 1/4/06 2:54 am
Mary, Sorry you had such a bad experience. They always have trouble drawing blood from me, but that's ridiculous! Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for you from here! Take care and keep smiling! ~Wanda
Betsy Anitahug
on 1/4/06 4:28 am - Danville, VA
I am sooo sorry you had such a hard time....I know all about problems with getting blood...while in the hospital, my IV had to be redone...not once but about 20 times....because of being diabetic, they couldn't do my foot but finally a nurse on the floor who used to work in ER finally got it going again...they had called to have a PIC line put in...thank goodness they were able to cancel it. At least it is over for you but I too hate needles...Hope all will go well from here on out. Hugs, Betsy
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/4/06 4:57 am - Roanoke, VA
Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and support!! It makes me feel a lot better! Talk to ya soon!!! Mary
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/4/06 4:57 am - Roanoke, VA
Thank you guys so much for the encouragement and support!! It makes me feel a lot better! Talk to ya soon!!! Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views