Omega 3 fish oil

donnap
on 1/2/06 8:56 pm - Collinsville, VA
Do any of you take Fish Oil, Omega 3 as part of your supplements? My husband takes this 3 times a day (as per bottle) and I'm impressed with the health benefits. Just wondering if any of you take this and if so do you have any problems digesting it? Thanks! Donna P At goal, down 116 pounds RNY 11/17/04
Carole V.
on 1/3/06 1:06 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Donna, Omega 3 and other healthy oils from fish, olives, nuts are very good for you and and healthy way to get fat in your diet (important for so many things, including hair, skin, nails, and brain and cell function). That said, I have read (from several different sources) that fish oil from capsules is not that good for you (they don't use a high quality oil), or is a waste. So I recommend increasing these good oils in your diet, but I don't recommend the fish oil tablets. It's not that hard, if you eat tuna or salmon a couple of times a week, plus most of the low fat salad dressings now use olive oil and soybean oil as a base (check the labels). Add a few nuts or black olives to a salad, add chopped up avocado to just about anything, and you've got all the omega oil you need. Also, if the capsules depend on stomach acid to dissolve, you might just be passing them right through your system, since RNY'ers have so little stomach acid now. Carole
Kathy & Rich
on 1/3/06 1:31 am - Fairfax, VA
I was told to take fish oil because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. (Recommended by my back surgeon since I cannot take NSAIDS.) But we don't absorb fats so..fish oil is out. But, what RNYers can take is emulsified fish oil. It is already broken down. Coromega makes an emulsified fish oil that is an orange flavored paste in a small foil package. Vitamin Shoppe sells it but the best price I've found is at vitacost.com - $19.99 for a box of 90 pouches. I haven't been taking it regularly so cannot speak of it's benefits but it is one of my goals to add this in. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/06 2:09 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
I take them daily .. would not miss them .. In the begining I would burp up fish .. smell .. Now I have just ordered some that are sort of like a liquid but taste like tangerines .. awesome .. forgot the complete name of them . Gotta have your Omega's ! Hugs, Nat
donnap
on 1/3/06 3:21 am - Collinsville, VA
You all are wonderful! Thanks. Donna P
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views