Central Line?

Iamspoi1ed
on 12/31/05 2:07 pm - Roanoke, VA
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone who had surgery had a central line put in their jugular vein for surgery and during their hospital stay? It is standard proceedure for my doctor, but it still has me a bit freaked out!! If anyone has any experience with this please email me at [email protected] THANKS!!!
wanda
on 12/31/05 8:29 pm
Mary, you've got mail! ~Wanda
(deactivated member)
on 12/31/05 9:26 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Hey Mary ...it does not go into your jugular .. and you will never even know it .. I was asleep when they put mine in .. Just tell the doc you want to be asleep for it .. they make you so comfortable .. they could chop your arm off and you would not care . Best to ya .. Nat
elizabeth b-c
on 1/1/06 9:51 am - Charlottesville, VA
I had a central line for a different surgery, and I agree with Nat. Let the doc know you don't want to be aware of what is going on, and they'll make sure you're comfortable and asleep. Good luck on your surgery. elizabeth 359/244/160
Iamspoi1ed
on 1/1/06 12:59 pm - Roanoke, VA
Thank you all so much for your responses to my questions! I am so nervous and hearing from other people makes me more at ease. How is it right afterward? I have never been small, so I just cant imagine how it will be later on. Is plastic surgery a pretty standard thing afterward? I imagine that can get really expensive. Talking with other people who have been through the same things is making me feel so much better!!! I hope to hear from you again soon!!! Thanks so much!!!
kizie23
on 1/1/06 2:54 pm - blacksburg, VA
Mary, I too had a central line, however, I do not think it goes into your juggular vien. My doct. told me he used them in case something were to happen and he needed to get antibiotics in my body quickly. He also wanted until I was sleep and put it in. It came out right before I came home, my doctor nor nurses ever had to use it. Melissa
TammyNVA
on 1/1/06 7:51 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Mary, Along with your other responses, I also had a central line in my neck, not in the jugular though. It was put in after I was in lala land, and taken out before I left the hospital. In between it was little more than uncomfortable. I was worried about it before surgery too, but it was the least of my worries after! Take care and best wishes! Tammy
nitengale
on 1/2/06 1:37 pm - Leesburg, VA
RNY on 09/14/04 with
Hi Sweetie, There is a line that goes into your jugular BUT NOT THIS ONE!!! This is a central line and a tiny incision (about 1/2 inch) is made just below your collar bone and a catheter is threaded into a major vessel and stitched in place with one or two sutures ... the catheter may have 1, 2 or 3 lumens or tails. This is used for IV fluids, meds and in case of any emergency that may occur during your hospitalization. They can also draw blood samples from the lumens if ordered and you won't have to be stuck. Some docs still prefer to have the central line placed while others opt not to go that way. It is strictly doc preference. (And if HE prefers it... you're not gonna change his mind cause your chicken!!!) The central line is usually pulled before you are discharged and you will be awake for that... a snip of a stitch or two and the catheter is gently pulled out. The nurse will preform this at the bedside. She will need to apply heavy pressure to the cath site for several minutes (5-20 mins) to ensure that a clot has formed and bleeding has stopped. She will check the tip of the catheter to ensure it didn't tear off (it does happen rarely and is an easy fix so don't worry). I understand you being freaked out by this but it is a normal thing in the hospital. If I can answer any other questions let me know. wanda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views