2 questions - does anyone know?

sylvia
on 12/30/05 11:18 pm - Stafford, VA
I have two questions that I have not seen discussed on the boards and I would really like to know the answers to before my surgery. Maybe someone can refer me to a website - 1. How do our bodies know when to stop losing weight? 2. Is there any research on long term - 10, 20 years post op concerning possible health issues as a result of the RNY? I just want to know that by doing this now (RNY) I am not compromising or creating issues to be dealt with in my later age years (70's).
Kathy & Rich
on 12/30/05 11:46 pm - Fairfax, VA
Hey, Sylvia... Bodies have a normal setpoint...a weight where they like to be. Also, over the course of time post-op...you will be able to eat more and that should help slowing down/stopping the weight loss. I was losing about 8-10 lbs per month and then I hit month 6 post-op and it was a 4 lb loss so my body is slowing down the loss. I am eating more but it still isn't alot but my body seems to be doing what it needs to be doing. I haven't seen alot of research on the long term effects. Online I've met people 10+ years post-op. They still have to keep their protein intake up and take their vitamins and get their blood levels checked to make sure that all is well. Wish I had more to tell you. I was operated on by Dr. Chebli who has since moved. My husband had surgery with Dr. Roll *****tired. We both are under the care of Dr. Moazzez. You are in very good hands. He is very thorough and caring. He removed my gallbladder a few months ago and did a fine job. Kathy
sylvia
on 12/30/05 11:58 pm - Stafford, VA
Thank you so much! You have helped calm me down more than you know. Especially knowing that Dr. Moazzez is caring for you - I hope I follow the same weight loss pattern that you have - It doesn't seem to drastic and your body is already adjusting and slowing down the loss. That is a huge relief. A far as eating, do you find that you are comfortable/happy with what you are able to eat? Do you ever regret the surgery for any reason? You are doing so good - I truly appreciate your help.
Kathy & Rich
on 12/31/05 4:12 am - Fairfax, VA
I've always been comfortable/happy with what I've been able to eat at all stages...thought week 1 on broths and such...eh, I would have preferred something that stuck to my ribs longer. Right now, honestly, no I do not regret this surgery nor does my husband who had it in August of 2004. I had side pain that started in September and got it checked out and it seemed like gallbladder though the tests weren't conclusive. Dr. M felt it was a good move to remove it in mid-October and yes in fact it was inflammed and did have stones (that the tests didn't show). The pain continued even after the surgery and I wasn't happy. Dr. M ran me through a whole bunch of other tests to no avail - I felt that he did all that he could to try to diagnose the problem short of going in there. Then somewhere around late November...the pain did not come every day it was more sporatic - some days yes, some days no. My PCP said she has had patients that had continued to have pain after gallbladder surgery and it fades away. That has indeed been my case. The pain is very rare now. Other than that...nothing. Kathy
donnap
on 1/1/06 2:50 am - Collinsville, VA
Sylvia, Kathy had a good answer concerning your body set-point. I'm one year & one month out from surgery and have actually dropped below where I thought I needed to be. But, now that I am here, and seem to be staying at this weight, it is a very comfortable place for me. As for eating, like Kathy, I've always been happy with what I've been able to eat. For the FIRST time that I can truly remember (in my life) food is NOT an issue with me. I eat to live, not live to eat. Coming from my family, THIS is a major accomplishment. LOL! Best of luck to you honey. I hope to get to know you & pray that you will have a wonderful journey. Donna P
sylvia
on 1/1/06 9:52 am - Stafford, VA
Hi Donna - thank you so much for reinforcing what Kathy said and adding your own experience to it. I appreciate the response SO MUCH, and am very encouraged by your experience. Thank you - Sylvia
sylvia
on 1/1/06 9:55 am - Stafford, VA
It is sounding more and more like I've selected an excellent doctor. Again, Kathy, your information is invaluable to me. Happy New Year! Sylvia
TammyNVA
on 1/1/06 8:36 am - Chesterfield, VA
Sylvia, I'm no expert, and just 4 weeks post-op...HOWEVER... My mom and sister both had gastric bypass surgery in 1992 (sister also had her gallbladder out at the same time.) They are both fine and both still deal with the same issues (taking vitamins, focus on protein, dumping with too much fat or sugar.) Otherwise, they are both fine! My sister also has had two babies since WLS (now 11 & 9) and they are both healthy boys. Both mom and sis still yo-yo a bit with their weight, but diet sensibly and get it off. Now it's within 20-30 pounds, not 100. Hope that helps. They have both been an inspiration to me as I've been on this journey. They've also enjoyed learning more about the newer techniques and philosophies through me, a more recent post-op. Happy New Year, Tammy
sylvia
on 1/1/06 9:48 am - Stafford, VA
Tammy - I can't thank you enough for replying with your info. I have been searching high and low online for people who are 10 years or more post op and haven't found a soul. To hear that your mom and sis are 13 years out, doing well and are healthy, is very encouraging to me. I'm just going thru another period of self doubt - "should I try to do it on my own" phase. Again, thank you so very much for listening and responding. Happy New Year right back atcha! Sylvia
TammyNVA
on 1/1/06 10:02 am - Chesterfield, VA
Sylvia, The most important thing I have learned on this board, and confirmed through observation with my mom and sister, is that this surgery is a TOOL, not a cure. You still have to have the commitment to change your eating habits or your weight loss will be limited or even temporary. There are so many on this board that will give advice and tell of their experiences, that it really makes ME want to do well and be part of the WLS success CLUB (there's not really a club, that's just how I think of it in my mind.) Good luck! Tammy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views