*Please Read .. Vitamin B1.. **

(deactivated member)
on 12/30/05 8:08 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Vitamin B1 Deficiency a Danger After Gastric Bypass Surgery Source: Health Day (Health Day News) -- Doctors need to check for vitamin B1 deficiency in patients after they've had gastric bypass surgery for obesity. That's the conclusion of a case study that found vitamin B1 deficiency can lead to a serious neurological condition called Wernicke encephalopathy. The report involved a 35-year-old women who developed numerous problems -- nausea, anorexia, fatigue, hearing loss, eye movement abnormalities, forgetfulness and ataxia (problems with muscle movement) -- after she had gastric bypass surgery. Within 12 weeks of her surgery, she had lost 40 pounds and had trouble walking and concentrating. A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan detected abnormal signals in various areas of the woman's brain, indicating a deficiency in vitamin B1. This vitamin, also known as thiamine, is essential for carbohydrate metabolism and normal nervous system functioning. The woman's intravenous dose of vitamin B1 was increased to 100 milligrams every eight hours, which led to a decrease in abnormal eye movement and confusion. A follow-up MRI 11 days later showed the abnormal brain signals had decreased. The report appears in the Dec. 27 issue of Neurology. "The neurological complications following gastric bypass surgery are diverse. Vitamin B1 deficiency and Wernicke encephalopathy should be carefully considered in surgically treated obese patients," study co-author Dr. Raul N. Mandler, a neurologist at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., said in a prepared statement. ---- More information: The U.S. National Library of Medicine has more about vitamin B1. ----
Betsy Anitahug
on 12/30/05 8:32 pm - Danville, VA
Thanks, Nat..I really count on all your informational posts. I print them and have a whole book full of great information. You are wonderful, my little tink.. Hugs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/05 8:36 pm - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Hey honey buney .. We is da ANGELS remember .. hiiiiii yaaaa !!!
TammyNVA
on 12/30/05 9:03 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Thanks Nat, I believe I will be getting blood work done to test various vitamin and mineral levels in 2 weeks, so I'll ask about this one. I really appreciate all your info! Tammy
kizie23
on 1/1/06 2:47 pm - blacksburg, VA
Nat, Thats so wierd, I read that same article yesterday. I cannot think of what I was looking up online, and just happened to find that article. I am trying to think, another one was something about IRS allowing wks tax deduction from the Associated Press, and another one I think by the Associated Press as well, about Medicare covering the surgery. Sure that is more information than you wanted to know, but it was just wierd that you posted that article. Melissa
Kennie29
on 1/1/06 3:26 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Very good information, I am so nervous, I want to do everything right when I have my surgery, that anything is welcome in the advice dept, thanks again!! Hugs, Kennie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views