Quantity on food

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/05 11:49 pm - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi friends, I am so upset with myself, I have to send this out for some help!! I don't have a handle on the quantity of food to eat yet! I have had this problem since probably week 2 or 3. My eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach, and I eat more than I should - then throw up!! Yes, I've done it lots of times so the act of throwing up doesn't prevent this behavior! It seems like I put just a little bit on my little plate, but when I eat it I get sick. I think I suffer from the 'empty plate' syndrome. Yes, I hear you all saying, then stop eating. I wi**** were that easy. I hate to send this message because it is so stupid, but I guess I just want to hear it all from you. Help me!! One of my problems is, I am not sure how many ounces I should be eating anyway!! I'm a mess!!! eating maniac donna
Betsy Anitahug
on 12/30/05 12:20 am - Danville, VA
Oh, my sweet, Donna...I know all about head hunger...it is the demon we all have to fight. We went through so much to lose...we have to really be careful. Are you using smaller plates? Don't worry about the empty plate...cover it, stick it in the fridge and eat it later. Don't be so hard on yourself...that is what got us here in the first place! We have to work this tool...It is a lifetime diet and we can do it....Christmas was very hard on me watching others eat and my being on clear liquids...plus I am under a tremendous amount of stress...(read my earlier post) Honey, we can do it...together. I love you and know this is hard but worth it all. Hugs, Betsy
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/05 12:27 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Betsy, thanks for your post. Yes, I guess it is head hunger. I sort of thought it was just eating until everything was gone. I am so upset with myself. It happened because last night we went to Outback with some friends and I had two small shrimp, two bites of baked potato (from my husbands plate) and a few bites of salmon. All in all too much!! I could hardly make it home before I barfed!! I was just mad at myself. I should have stopped at the shrimp!! Even Greg said 'you ate a lot tonight'. I hate to complain because I know that there are people like you out there that are still struggling with clear liquids, although I remember when I was on that it didn't seem to be as much of an issue. Hang in there Betsy, this will work for us. We will do this. Oh, I went to the movie and asked for the senior discount, and the lady didn't believe me and made me show her my license!!! I told her, you know what, you just paid me!! I wanted to kiss her!! Love you Betsy, you are truly an angel on this board!! love donna
jilldennis
on 12/30/05 12:45 am - White Post, VA
RNY on 08/30/05 with
Hi, Donna you are not a mess!!! I still try to stick to the 4 tbsp. rule (2 ozs). Sometimes I do a little more...just depending on what it is and how I feel. I cannot do anything with sauces and for some odd reason I cannot eat turkey (I LOVE TURKEY!!) - they just do not like me. I am under the watchful eye of soooo many...I don't want to screw up - so I am still very careful. We eat out ALOT!!! Mostly Mexican. I can now eat 1/2 of a taco along with a few tortillas and guacamole or salsa. But by the end of 30 minutes I am absolutely stuffed! I can't wait to see you!!! Hugs! Jill 278/163/140
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/05 1:48 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Jill - thanks for the tips!! the 4 tbsp 2 oz rule sounds good. I just had about 1 1/2 oz of chicken plus a few olives and that was enough. I think I just need to measure!! When you eat the taco, do you eat the shell? I haven't had that yet, so that is something I can try (maybe on Thursday!). love donna
Kathy & Rich
on 12/30/05 2:27 am - Fairfax, VA
Donna, I would measure your food and see how much you are really eating. Be sure to eat very slow and wait for the "enough is enough" feeling. If you are still getting ill...I'd talk to your surgeon and get checked for a stricture. Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 12:54 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Kathy - I am going to measure, and start eating slower. I have a real problem with the feeling full feeling! I go see Dr. Lin on Friday so will mention it, but I think it is more behavioral than anything else! donna
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/05 3:14 am - I Do Believe .. I Do I Do .., VA
Hey sweet... make sure too that you have not drank anything prior to eating .. this can also make you sick when eating . And you can try eating with baby forks and spoons . I still do .. It keeps me from over eating and allows me to take smaller bites .. and I do not feel sick or too full . Most of the time where you are post op .. you should be able to do at least 2 oz in dense meats .. ( turkey - hamburger etc .. ) and in soups . yogurts .. things that slide down .. you may be able to do more . Imagine your new tummy like a funnel...and you pour things into it .. they swirl around and then go down the drain .. if you are eating too much .. the funnel theory does not work and you get sick .. Just take a bite .. back off .. even try getting up and walking away .. then come back to it .. Hugs sweety and remember .. tiny bites .. tiny sips .. Love ya .. Nat
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/06 12:55 am - Fairfax Station, VA
Hi Natalie, as usual, very informative!! I have the funnel picture in my mind and that is helpful. I am also going to measure as I can and see if my 'eyeball' method is just way too much! love\ donna
WendyNVA
on 12/30/05 6:36 am - Va Beach, VA
Hey Girly, I feel your pain.. its a distant memory, but I DO remember it LOL. Early on, I would vomit a lot cuz of taking that ONE bite too many. My tummy didn't send the signals to my brain that I'm full. It still doesn't, sadly, but the vomiting stopped thankfully. It literally takes me 30 minutes AFTER a meal to feel FULL.. its like things stick at a certain spot in my stomach and just kept filling up, but wouldnt signal me to stop until it was too late. The only advice I can tell ya, is only put a certain small quantity on your plate. Eat it, and dont eat anymore. (the quantity is up to you and your nut/doc, depending on your stage). At 3 months out, a typical meal for me would be ONE scrambled egg with cheese and that is ALL. For lunch I would have one piece of deli meat (lean) and a couple spoonfuls of cottage cheese with pepper.. and a tiny gerkin on the side. That was it.. I ate and I waited my hour then started drinking. If I took even one bite more, I'd barf it up. Dinner was my downfall, and where I'd most likely get sick, cuz I'd put a small 2-3 ounce piece of fish on my plate, and eat it, but sometimes it was just too much, and that sensation would hit me 15-30 minutes later and up it came. So for the fish, i'd back off, and only eat 1/2 of it with a couple spoons of cottage cheese.. no problem. One thing I never did during the first 6 months was try anything blended or mixed or such. It was fish or eggs or ham .. not a casserole or stew, etc. Its all trial and error sweetie, and please discuss it with your surgeon, to insure everything is ok. Wendy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2277 views