A question re eating & drinking..........

kammcdonald
on 12/18/05 7:08 am - Norfolk, VA
I just tried a new recipe for a LF, SF chili. It wasn't as thick as normal chili. It was more like a "Chicken Chili Soup". AFTER I was through having it, it occurred to me that we aren't allowed to eat and take liquids at the same time. So, where does soup fit into this? I chewed the chicken, tomatoes and beans, but I sipped a small amount of the broth. Was this bad for me (I am a month post-op)? I guess I never thought about it prior to tonight's meal. Thanks. *Kam* PS By the way, soup-chili was good....if anyone wants the recipe, I'd gladly post it.
cappymoon
on 12/18/05 7:12 am - Northern, VA
Yes, as my nutritionist explained it, eating soup is the same as drinking and eating solids at the same time due to the liquid in the soup. She said just eat the solids out of the soup and save the broth for later, although that just seemed like too much trouble, so I never did it. The only time I have soup is if hubby makes it, and then I only eat the solids. Hope that helps! Dianna
kammcdonald
on 12/18/05 7:19 am - Norfolk, VA
Thanks, Dianna. Your reply makes complete sense.....and truthfully, I sort of figured that out AFTER having both the solids & the broth from tonight's meal. Hope I didn't do any damage, as I have been sooooooo careful up til now. Oh well, guess I'll know better for the next time!! *Kam*
Carole V.
on 12/18/05 8:01 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Kam, A few sips of the liquid part of soup with the solids is not really a bad thing. The problem comes with drinking, say, a whole glass of water or something right after you've eaten, that washes the food right out of your pouch and you wind up getting hungry a lot sooner. Think of it as the same as having a gravy on your chicken, you sometimes need a little moisture to keep solids from sticking, which can really hurt. When I have soup, I try to sip the liquid part first, wait a few minutes, then eat a few bites of the solids. That way, the liquid won't push the solids out of the pouch, but it will keep them from sticking. It's a good question, I've seen many people ask the same thing. Some doctors just say stay away from soup, but others say moderation is fine. Carole
kammcdonald
on 12/18/05 10:44 pm - Norfolk, VA
Thank you for your reply, Carole.....and for not making me feel dumber than I already did for posting this!! I do feel better knowing that I probably did not do any damage to my pouch, and that you, too, take a little liquid with soup. I definitely did not take a lot (or an amount like a full glass), so I guess I was okay. But, I will definitely be more careful next time. Thanks, again, for your response!! *Kam*
DawnVA
on 12/18/05 11:44 am - VA
Kam -- Your line of thinking is correct and I had the same question when I was in my first month. I tend to think the same as Diana answered. However, in my opinion, chili...at least MOST chili, is different. If it's thick like chili should be, it's just fine and you shouldn't have any trouble or pain. But I tend to stay clear of regular soups or I'll just eat the chicken or veggies out of it and maybe take a few sips of broth. Doing what you did isn't BAD for you meaning that it's not harmful to your pouch. It could do a few things though: wash the protein out of your pouch too quickly meaning you don't absorb the nutrients from it. Or it could have the "clogged sink" affect and will make you feel just miserable until it slowly flows down. Or it could wash out your pouch and make you feel hungry again very quickly...causing you to ultimately eat more food in a day. (I guess if a person were to get in the habit of eating and drinking at the same time, it may in the long run stretch your pouch, but I don't know that for sure.) Anyway...chili for me (from Wendy's) is now an addiction. haha! So enjoy! Dawn 24 May 2005 Lap RNY
kammcdonald
on 12/18/05 10:50 pm - Norfolk, VA
Hi Dawn.....Thanks for your reply and for your explanation of taking liquid with food. It all makes sense!! And, I am relieved that I did not do any harm to my new pouch, as I guess, that was my biggest fear. I will definitely be more careful with liquids/solids/soup in the future!! I have not yet tried Wendy's chili, but I am anxious to have that, too... maybe this week!! Sounds yummy!!!!!! *Kam*
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2277 views