failed lap band need revision to RNY

Jacquie1
on 9/25/12 11:51 am - Manassas, VA
Hi.  Had band in 2007 and lost 130 pounds.  Unfortunately weight loss stopped after two years and despite my best efforts I started eating again and no restriction.  So I had fill, had unfills, had fills, paid a personal trainer and I have gained back 70 pounds.  I am waiting for BCBS to cover the revision.  I am trying to get Dr. Matt Fitzer to do the surgery.  He is with Virginia Bariatric.  Anyone have any experience with BCBS covering revisions if you are a non-functional band with a hernia and dilation of the espohagus?  I haven't been back to Obesity Help in a long time.  This time I want to make sure I get total support. 

shoutjoy
on 9/25/12 7:35 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi there,

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your band.  I know many people do and getting a revision is probably a good choice.  Coming back to OH was also a good choice on your part.  Having support is so important.  Do you go to a support group?  This is another support that you may want to invest your time in.

Keep us posted and know that we are hear to support you.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Jacquie1
on 9/25/12 8:41 pm - Manassas, VA
Thank you.  No, I have not gone to a support group yet.  When I first got the band I went to the group that my Nut had but that kinda petered out.  I tried to get one together in Manassas but I would often be alone waiting at the Panera.  So...I pretty much lost weight without support.  I got 70 pounds from my goal when the weight loss stopped and have fought for 3 years to get it going again.  Now I am hoping to get to goal since this surgery I would be starting at a lower weight.  I am just waiting on insurance.

shoutjoy
on 9/26/12 9:52 pm - Culpeper, VA
Hi,

I hear there is a great group in Warrenton that meets.  I myself may go there if it coinsides with my work schedule since I work in Warrenton anyway.  I have to reconnect with her again.  Hopefully she will read this and respond back.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/12 1:55 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 08/14/12

HI Jacquie1 ,

Don't feel bad. I had LapBand in 2008 and had it removed in 2010 due to complications and had only lost 25lbs! Worst part is that I paid for it myself, ugh.

I struggled for years and now my husband has great insurance, we found it would cover RYN, so this past August I had RYN surgery at INOVA Fair Oaks. I'm 10 weeks post op. It's been a challenge from time to time, but I'm so happy I had it done. I've lost 46lbs so far.

I too need a support group. Fairfax is a ways for me,  and I already go up there weekly to bi-weekly for my therapist and dr. apt. I've heard Blue Point has a great support system. I've spoken with them a few times. They have support groups in Fairfax and Woodbridge 1x a month and will start in Stafford in December. I'm so excited about that. They also have a small group that meets every Tuesday evening in Woodbridge. I plan on going this Tuesday. I'm a strong believer of support groups. We need each other.  My surgeon was awesome too. He too has a support group 1x a week but he's in Herndon which is 1 hour each way for me and it's hard to get up that way at 6pm!

Jacquie1
on 12/2/12 11:54 am - Manassas, VA

Hi, I am sorry I didn't check back here sooner.  I have been totally busy with work.  I got my surgery date for Fair Oaks it will be December 12th, although there is a potential for it to be moved to the 14th but within that week.  It took a long time for BCBS Fed to approve it.  I would love to get a support group together somewhere in Manassas.  There has to be bunches of folks who have had the band, RNY revisions etc., and I think we should get together and support each other.  Once I have my revision surgery and get into recovery I plan on making sure my weight loss is my singular focus so support will help. I have been getting ready by getting what I need like protein stuff and I got some bari-bowls so I can make my meals in those and eat from them exclusively while I am in weight loss mode.  I am a very successful lap bander until it stopped be successful...this time I want to get to goal.  So I am ready.  I am also frightened....you know like bad things happening, it not working, complications...gotta keep positive.

Let me know if anyone else is interested in a support group.  thanks, Jacquie

Jacquie1
on 1/11/13 12:49 pm - Manassas, VA

Well I am back, doing well with the weight loss but it's slow.  I am working my bums off exercising then I collapse because eating 500 calories a day makes a person tired.  So not sure if anyone is still interested, first of the year stuff and all but if we want to get a group together I am game.  My best days are Tuesdays and Thursdays and maybe we can meet at a Panera, or Starbucks or something. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views