Newbie in Portsmouth

ali_lynn
on 2/15/12 2:24 am - Portsmouth, VA
Hello everyone, I am a newbie in Portsmouth, VA and am a military spouse.  After having been declined a referral by my PCM last year because I was considering pregnany I finally got one from another doctor last month and attended the Bariatric Orientation at NMCP last week.  I completed my labs, chest x-ray and EKG the following day and received a call today from the Bariatric Clinic scheduling my first appointment with the surgeon, Dr. Mann, on 3/12/12.  I am very nervous and excited at the same time.  I have a ton of questions and anxiety. I have a terrible fear of death that I cannot seem to shake.  I have to get over this and see the good that this surgery can bring.  Has anyone else felt the same way?
richarddavis196
on 2/18/12 1:25 am - VA
Congratulations on starting your journey.

I had RNY at Sentara in Norfolk using Tricare and Aetna insurance on 10/11/2011. I would be happy to provide any help. Just let me or the forum know what you are curious, confused or anxious about and we will try our best.

Good luck!

pirate1227
on 2/20/12 9:34 am - VA
Hey there,
I'm up in Hampton and just got a referrel to Portsmouth. My orientation is on March 6th. It's awesome to know that things are moving quickly for you. My fear is it will take forever to get through all the screening stuff, just for them to tell me I can't get the surgery for some reason. Keep us posted!
kpenn1971
on 3/12/12 9:19 am
I am a newbie also. :)  I met with Dr. Fontana and my surgery should be (praying here) in June.  I have Aetna as well.  I live in Western Branch so if you ever want to bounce anxiety ridden events off of another local just let me know LOL.

I was worried too about the death issue, but after talking with the surgeons I am not as worried.  I do not have any comorbidities or health issues. I'm just too heavy LOL. 

I have several friends who have had it done as well as my bf (who is also one of Fontana's patients) so that helps out a lot. :)  
SleeveRockn Chic
on 3/12/12 12:55 pm
 The thought of death is a very natural and normal feeling.  We all go through many emotions.  You have do all your research and determine what is best for you as far as surgery type etc.  Once you are 100% committed to this new lifestyle, only then should you have the surgery.  It's a journey.  I think of it like an never ending roller coaster ride lol  Good luck with your decision.  Kerry

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
 HW: 365lbs.  SW:353  CW:182.4  GW:160 lbs.
Goal 1: Get under 300 (Reached as of 11/15/2011 299.4 Baby) 
Goal 2- Get under 200 (Reached as of 08/29/2012 199.2 Baby) 
Goal 3- Get to 160

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views