revision surgery

LASHUNDA Y.
on 5/4/11 1:33 pm - PETERSBURG, VA
Hello just wondering if anyone has had revision surgery after gastric bypass from any doctors at St. Mary Hospital, Richmond Va.....
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 11:17 pm - Woodbridge, VA
What kind of revision are you seeking? The only surgeon I would trust to do a revision on me in VA is Dr. Elariny up in Fairfax, VA. He is experienced in all of the major WLS procedures, including revisions, which are riskier than initial surgeries.
Donut22kids
on 5/6/11 11:57 am - Jeffersonton, VA
Just curious, why is revisions more risky than the initial surgery? I never really thought about it until I read your response.
I know that doctor Elariny is really good.
Donut
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/11 1:21 am - Woodbridge, VA
For one, since you've already had surgery on the area once, there are likely to be a lot of adhesions/scar tissue that may need to be cleaned up for a revision (especially if a band has been part of the equation). Also, since those organs have already been operated on, the tissues can be a bit thinner from cutting and stretching, which can make them more difficult to work with and, depending on what type of revision is being performed, may increase the chance of a leak (especially when revising a sleeved stomach). If you're talking about revising the intestines (such as increasing the amount of bypass or revising from RNY to DS), then you not only have new connections to make, but also old anastomosis openings to close.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views