3-Month post up

GAFROMVA
on 3/27/11 12:38 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
Hi Fellow Virginians.
I posted this a few weeks back on the VSG and Men's forum. Caroline2622 is right this forum is too quiet. I don't post a lot of question, but I will respond to a post if I feel I have something add. I hopefully my post can help someone else. 

Here is my 3month post-op post... i would up date my numbers, but my scale at home broke. 

My life changed on December 8, 2010 and I can’t be happier. I have no regrets whatsoever about going through with the surgery. At 565 pounds I was pretty limited as to what I could do. I could not walk a block without being out of breath. I would walk to lunch with my coworkers, they would walk at my slow pace, and stop whenever I need to rest. I felt like crap for slowing them down. I couldn’t drive my car with my jacket on because I could barely get the seat belt on. My belly was in the way as I turned the wheel. My seat was leaned so far back that it was damn near in the back seat. I was wearing 7x tee-shirts, size 68 pants, and because I couldn’t button up my shirts,I always wore them open.
I’ve lost 79 pounds before I had surgery and 60 pounds after. It hasn’t been easy. I’ve had my ups and downs. I lost 26 pounds the week after my surgery then stalled for two weeks. I was really frustrated and was thinking I had made a mistake, but everyone on the VSG forum told me that stalling is normal a week or two after the surgery. The best advice I received came from the guys on Men’s forum. I was challenged to stop stepping on the scale everyday, they were right getting on the scale every morning was driving me crazy. I was told to go by how I feel and the NSV/Farts that come along the way. So I only weigh myself on payday, which is twice a month.

I find it a lot easier to make healthy food choice and stay within 800 - 1000 calories. I still haven’t gotten real adventurous with food yet. Fish has been my staple since the mushie phase.. I might be in the minority here, but I love protein shakes.  I only lost 8 pounds in the month of February, but I didn’t get down about that. I’m feeling great and I’m losing weight and inches around my body.  I’m down to wearing 6x shirts, size 64 pants and I’m proud to say all my shirts button up :). I notice that I’m even driving my car comfortably. No more touching my belly when I turn the wheel. Not only that but I’m walking up to 4 miles a day!!! The other week I walked 5 blocks with my coworkers and they noted that I was keeping up with them and I wasn’t winded at all. I’m getting compliments on how I look from people in my office, grocery store and even my barber has noticed that I’m losing weight. I’m not going to lie, I was not used to getting compliments on how I look or dressed, but they helped to boost my confidence.

My energy took a while to come back, but now I have plenty of energy. I’m much more active then ever before. I walk about 3- 4 miles a day. I go to the gym approximately 4-5 times a week. I started lifting weights 3 weeks ago. I’ve always hated cardio, but loved lifting weights. I’m hoping to do a 5k in May for a good cause. I know I won’t be able to run, because I have bad knees, but I’m hoping to walk it at a respectable pace.

I don't’ know how far I would have gone without the support of my family and friends. The people on VSG and Men’s forum are just amazing and very supportive. Their success inspires me to stay positive,  continue to work the sleeve and to push myself. I know I still have a lot of weight to get off, but I didn’t put on 565 pounds in one night. With the help of my family, friends, and the VSG/Men’s forum I know I will be able reach my goal but also make new ones for myself.
Thanks for reading my post.
Glen
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

HW: 565, Surgery Day: 486 CW: 319
(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 9:56 pm - Leesburg, VA
VSG on 05/03/11 with
Way to go man. Im at 355 today and want to get down to 230-250. I hope I have the results you have had. My problem has never been losing the weight but just keeping it off. I know how to diet and workout and lose weight. I have yo-yo-ed for years so I hope this will finally help me keep it off.

My Dr is saying my surgery may happen May 3rd. Lets hope so.
caroline2622
on 4/3/11 8:50 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with

Alright    Way to go!   Please keep posting ... We need your support!  

I also chat on the VSG forum too.    Life will get even better !!  keep up to great work~!

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views