New Here

DMBMama
on 1/24/11 12:11 am
 Hello everyone! 
My name is Christina and I"m from Northern VA. I am just beginning my journey and am hoping to have WLS in the near future. It's great to "meet" all of you and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences and sharing mine. 
callinwildfire
on 1/24/11 3:35 am - Levels, WV
Welcome Christina,What type of surgery are you interested in? Where are you in your process of beginning WLS? Things are kind of slow here on the board, so don't feel left out if you don't get a lot of responces.Pam
DMBMama
on 1/24/11 4:12 am
I'm at the VERY beginning. :) I met with my PCP and he said that he'd support me in my decision and work with me. I contacted a surgeon in my area and found out that I had to attend their 2 hour information seminar before getting an appointment with them. I've also contacted my insurance to get all of the information I need as far as requirements. So, I have an appointment set up (in a week) to see a Nutritionist regarding my 6 month physician supervised diet plan and I have filled out the multiple page health questionnaire required by the surgeon. So at this point it's "hurry up and wait" while I wait for the surgeon to review my medical questionnaire and then will have a 1 on 1 appointment with him. I'm looking at having the RNY. I've done a lot of research and now I'm interested in hearing "real life" experiences people have had and are having rather than the "text book explanations" you read on medical websites, etc. :)

Thank you for the welcome Pam! :)

caroline2622
on 1/24/11 8:48 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Welcome Pam     Well all types of WLS is just tool

Find a surgeon and their team that you feel comfortable.  Most good bariatric surgeons require a meet and great session before coming to meet one on one.   Generally also there is a processing fee (for that meet and greet & medical review questionare?? )...  

Good the hear you will be working with a Nutrionist.  A must for success.   As you get to know us you will find that is the best descision we ever made. BUT we can and at time struggle with keeping the weight off.   Find a support system that works for you.  

You will be encouraged to loose weight before the approved surgery as it helps to shrink your liver which overlaps your stomach.  

Fair Oaks Hospital has a super program and 1st rate medical support staff /surgical staff bar none.  

Good luck as you go through the process and continue to do research.

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
SleeveRockn Chic
on 1/24/11 5:22 am
 Welcome Christina:) I am just begining my journey too.  I have been a member here since 2004 researching and lurking throughout the years. I have a date of the first monday in march for my RNY. I can't wait to find the new me and live.   Take care, Kerry 
mrskreuter
on 2/18/11 5:41 am
RNY on 02/24/11 with
Hi,
      I'm starting my journey too my RNY is scheduled for the 24th of Feb 6 more days.  This time next week I'll be 1 day post op . I see your scheduled the following week. I'm on the Optifast diet right now so I'm a little hungry and avoiding the kitchen . Lol!  It isn't the worst thing I've done.  I'm excited about the surgery....I even went through my closet and set my clothes up in stages from the things I wear now to the used to wears....I even have a goal pair of jeans to get in to.  They are about 4-5 year ago jeans. Just a pair of inspiration and hopefully they won't fit me long and I keep losing. I have a long way to go. I have a chair in my closet and I sat in there today and inspired myelf some.  I went out and got my vitamins last weekend and this weekend will get the broths and surger free drinks I need. My family has been a wonderful support system and that helps me  keep focused and positive.    Take Care, Debbie
albemarlepippin
on 2/10/11 5:40 pm - Scottsville, VA
Welcome! I see you have Dr. Trahan listed as your surgeon, are you coming to Charlottesville for your surgery?
I had bypass done 3 weeks ago, so I am a newbie to all this. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views