New to Newport News, VA

jillian_amari
on 1/21/11 4:39 am - Revere, MA
Hey Ya'll. I am looking for support groups near Newport News, VA. My husband is in the Air Force and we just moved here from Boston, MA. I have yet to really get out since I have been here so I would love some recommended support groups so I can meet some new people. Also I would be interested in a gym partner if there is someone out there who wants to go with me. Any suggestions would be great being new to an area where you don't know anyone kind of sux and it's my first time away from home. It is sooo awkward to me to meet new people.

Thanks for listening.

Jillian
SleeveRockn Chic
on 1/21/11 1:11 pm, edited 1/21/11 1:13 pm
Hi Jillian, Welcome to VA. I'm not sure of any support groups where you are but I am sure there is since there is a surgeons office in Newport News I was going to go to a long time ago. It's the Weight Loss Surgery center of Hampton Roads and there phone number is (757) 947-3170. You could give them a call and find out about a support group. I myself have not had surgery but I have a so called date of the first Monday in March could change sooner depending. I am in VB which is about 30-60 min. from you depending on traffic because that tunnel traffic can be a real pain lol. I attend a support group here on the second thursday of every month. I also have a membership to the YMCA which I don't use like I should but hopefully after surgery I will live there lol. Take care,Kerry
jillian_amari
on 1/22/11 12:26 am - Revere, MA
Thanks for the info Kerry. I will def call and check that out. Congrats on your upcoming surgery. It is the most life changing experience. There are def ups and downs but in the end it is sooo worth it. I have a friend that lives in chesepeake and I drive through VB to get there so its not too far, that tunnel traffic can be a ***** though. The support group you attend on the second thursday is that through the weight loss center of Hampton Roads too?

:)

Jilly
SleeveRockn Chic
on 1/22/11 5:51 am
 Yeah actually it is through the same place funny enough. The place in newport news has teamed with Bon Secours which is who I am going through for my surgery. My doctor is Dr. Adams. When I looked into the place in Newport News a long time ago they were not partnered but I guess they are now.  Yeah I'm kind of scared because for the longest time I was set on having lap band but my doctor told me that the lap band would not be a good fit for me and I would basically fail. I'm scared of taking all the vitamins and getting my protein in.   I want to succeed at this and not have my body out of wack.  Of course I'm scared of complictions but I guess thats natural.  When the nurse told me when my date would be I seriously thought I was going to puke lol.  I think it's nerves, I hope anyways lol  Did you  have any issues??? Are you at goal yet???  I saw your pics, you look great :)   
jillian_amari
on 1/24/11 3:44 am - Revere, MA
Hey Kerry,

You are going to do great. Just stay positive. I had the RNY on may 18th so I am about 8 months post op. I am not at goal yet I have about 20 to 30 more lbs to go but I am at about 135 and feeling good. I did have complications with my surgery. I couldnt eat for almost 6 months. I had something called a stricture and I couldnt get food to pass through the narrow hole going to my stomach. they basically had to put a balloon down my throat every 2 weeks and blow it up until it eventually stayed open after 7 times. Even with all that I can tell you honestly that it was still worth it. I feel now that my outside matches my inside and it is the most amazing feeling in the world. If you ever need any advice or have questions or whatever I am always available. Feel free to contact me for anything at all.

The best advice I can give you is to utilze OH. Throughout this whole experience reading peoples stories is what I found to help the most. It still helps me. The people on this forum are inspirational.
Christina B.
on 1/27/11 10:31 pm
Hi Kerry,

I live about 15 minutes from Newport News and I am scheduled for surgery on March 14 (VGS). My Dr. is in Newport News, Dr. Clark. they are opening a new facility with a gym as well as support groups. They also carry some really good products like shakes etc. This is all so new to me, I have been there twice for consult and yesterday for fitness evaluation. Sounds like you are doing really great. Welcome to virginia
tmctnrice
on 2/1/11 7:39 am - Newport News, VA
Hello, I too am in Newport News and just moved here in Oct.  Like you I moved here with my husband and 3 kids and do not know anybody here and YES meeting new people in a new place is AWKWARD. I am hoping to have WLS soon. I went to the seminar and the psyc evaluation. Now I have my first one on one consult with my doc tomorrow. I am seeing Dr. Terracena  and am terrified of what may or may not happen. I too am looking for a support group. I am looking for a good gym to join. I'm strongly considering the Y so the whole family can go through the journey with me. Congrats on all of you success and may it continue.

Melanie Rice

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views