New and confused!

sofiasmami
on 1/5/11 10:43 pm - Galax, VA

Update: After speaking with someone at the University of Virginia, I proceeded to my PCP to be placed on a diet and exercise program which will have to be documented for 6 months before Medicaid will approve the procedure. My PCP placed me on  Phetermine, a 1960 calorie diet, and 30 mins of brisk walking every day. We'll see how it goes!

Lauren B
on 1/8/11 11:09 am - VA
Good luck with the 6mo documented diet.  You'll do great!  My doctor always told me the lower my weight at surgery time the safer the surgery.  :)  And the smaller the liver.  They are very strict about a two week living shrinking liquid diet two weeks prior to surgery, but my best guess is less food for 6mo would also help with that!

369/175/136
Highest Weight/Goal/Current Weight
233lbs LOST!!
Maintenance going strong!

(deactivated member)
on 1/8/11 5:54 am - Yorktown, VA
I agree with Jilly about the band making your GERD worse (not to mention it's complication rate and failure rate are really hig).  I'd take this 6 month dieting time to reallly research all of your options (band, RNY, VSG and DS) independently and then choose a surgeon who does all 4 procedures to give you an unbiased opinion on things.  I'm not sure where in VA you are, but Dr. Elariny in NOVA is a good place to start for that. 

Good luck!
sofiasmami
on 1/10/11 12:44 pm - Galax, VA
Thanks for the info and encouragement...I've lost 6 lbs but its not quite what my doctor is hoping for......I'm sticking with it and so I hope it will be successful!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views