small bowel/roux limb dilation

Stephanie M.
on 10/17/10 9:41 am - Moncks Corner, SC
Anybody know anything about this? I had my surgery in 2005 and now this has come up...along with some GI symptoms and I am drained and just ill. Have already been to the ER for fluids and pain meds. I have been trying to also find out if my Doc in VA that did the surgery is still practicing? I know he has a clinic...but all I can find on the webpage are non-surgical options. I am in SC now...and have a GI doc I will be consulting...but I really don't want any one else operating on me other than Dr. Thomas Clark. Anyone know if he is still around....or about the condition I have now? I am just miserable! Thanks...
Stephanie

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/10 2:23 pm
My husband's boss had his RNY done by him.  Try him at the number listed here, if he is not there anymore they should be able they should be able to tell you where to find him.  Sorry,  I do not know anything about the small bowel/roux limb dialtion.  I haven't had my surgery done yet.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+profile+Thomas+Clark+ds.html

DElliottMD
on 10/19/10 12:16 am
Dear Stephanie,
There are a number of conditions that can cause dilation of the small bowel and/or Roux limb, including:
1) intestinal blockage due to scar tissue (adhesions) or internal hernia
2) intussusception
3) SMA (superior mesenteric artery) syndrome
4) stenosis (narrowing) or blockage at the jejunojejunostomy ("plumbing" connection where your Roux limb forms the "Y" connection with the rest of your small bowel).
This all sounds very technical, I know, but it highlights that there are a lot of things that can cause this. You should know a) some of these conditions are potentially dangerous, and b) most all of them require surgery to fix.
Therefore, I would not delay in finding a surgeon in your local area to have this addressed.  If your original surgeon cannot be easily visited, I would recommend going to the ASMBS website ( http://www.asbs.org/html/about/membersearch2.html ) to find an ASMBS surgeon in your area with expertise to help you.
Good luck!
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
Debbie H.
on 10/24/10 11:10 pm - Newport News, VA
Dr. Clark isstill at the same practice as when you had your surgery. Same phone number also.

Debbie Howard

Debbie H.
on 10/26/10 6:05 am - Newport News, VA
Dr. Clark is not in practice any longer. Dr. Terracina has talen on the practice.

Debbie Howard

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views