Conflicted and need input

Jen M.
on 9/26/10 1:55 am - Ashburn, VA
My insurance will cover Gastric Banding, but not Gastric Bypass, which I think I am ok with.  My need for input is with my decision on doctors.  I went this past Wednesday to my consultation with a doctor that turned out to be "out-of-network", but I was so impressed with him and his entire staff.  I felt very comfortable there and I couldn't believe how they basically catered to me. I mean, by the time I got to the finance person, she had already contacted my insurance company and let me know what I would be approved. 
I had also gone to another doctor for a consult a few years ago, who happens to be "in-network" for me now, but I was kinda left not impressed.  His bedside manner was so-so and his staff took no interest in me at all, they were friendly, but they wanted the patient to do alot of their own legwork (i.e. insurance approval, nutritionist, etc.)  His website pretty much leads me to believe that he hasn't changed much of his policies.  I have heard that he has changed his staff and that they are much more attentive now, which is great. 
So, after my ramblings here, I would really appreciate thoughts on going "out-of-network" versus "in-network"?  I am aware that the "in network" costs would be considerably less out of pocket, but do I choose that over the other who is making the process seem easier?  Hope I am making sense to someone here.  The money does play a big factor into it too, I would most likely need financing if I were to go with the "out-of-network" one.....hhheeelllppp!
Jewel_in_hiding
on 9/26/10 8:46 am - Raleigh, NC
How you feel about your surgeon is more important that being in-network versus out-of-network. You apprear to already know the difference in costs. Since you mention cost is an issue, I would get a list of in-network bariatric surgeons in your area and consult with another one (not the one you had previously).  You can also ask specifically about that surgeon on this board and read any reviews. It is important that you go with a surgeon you are comfortable with. Remember, if you are not happy with your surgeon pre-op, you will not be happy with them post-op.
Top is my progress, Bottom is to Surgeon's Goal

caroline2622
on 9/26/10 9:25 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
You need to be comfortable with the surgeon and hospital.   But personality aside what is his reputation as a surgeon. .  Who is the doctor you are considering/not considering ?  Chat with others who have experienced him and his work?    The hospital  needs to be a bariatric hospital of excellance.   You want the best.  I chose Fair Oaks because of the anestisist are all trained for baritric issues... I would never us Potomac Hospital because of their poor anestisists. 

You did not mention what insurance you have?   Others on here may have your insurance and could give some recommendations.

No matter in or out of your network there will be out of pocket expenses.    My doctor you must attend the basic meet and greet to learn about the types of surgery before he will even meet with patients.  He wants to make sure you have a clear understanding.  

There will be upfront charges to the doctor that will not be paid by your insurance.  2 years ago I paid $250.   I am sure they are more now.   My doctor's staff  did the approval part in less than 5 minutes.   There classes with  with nutritionist, which will be an ongoing pre and post op relationship.  You will have a list of medical tests, psych eval, sleep test.

No matter we all have to be what is best for each of us.  Good you are asking questions and do your research.    Best of luck and keep in touch

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Jen M.
on 9/26/10 5:49 pm, edited 9/26/10 5:50 pm - Ashburn, VA
Thank you guys....Your input means alot and gave me some things to think about.  I think what I need to do is take a little step back and take my time to make an educated decision.  I tend to get anxious and want things to be done right away.  I just need to remember that it is all going to still be there and to just breath (I've always had this thing with holding my breath when I get anxious...lol..lol).  I will definitely keep the updates coming. 

P.S.  My insurance is CareFirst/BCBS.
sonajasin
on 10/22/10 1:17 pm - San Antonio, TX
I also have CareFirst but I am in Alexandria, VA and my Dr is at Virginia Hopital Center in Arlington. There are 2 surgeons there but i do not know the distance from you. I have had a wonderful experience with them and their office WLS nurse is Michelle and she is awesome.!
Sondra - Beginning Weight 402.8/OP weight 391 

Christmas Goal 350

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views