Gastric Bypass Surgeons in VA. Help!

KimberlyHeidi
on 9/22/10 5:07 am - VA
 I am looking at different surgeons who do Gastric Bypass in Virginia. I live in Charlottesville and am hoping to stay in state if possible. The surgeon who I have my consult scheduled with has only done a little over 100 Gastric Bypass surgeries and after hearing that it is a low number I am looking for someone else.  If there is a better place to ask please let me know. I am looking for reports both good and bad of surgeons in the area.

I am self pay so if you were self pay if you could tell me what your surgeon required and if you are happy or not happy with the surgeon that would be great. There are just so many and I am very hard of hearing. I am trying to find a list of surgeons in and around the area, what they charge, reviews and their self pay price but am not finding that. 

Thanks in advance! 
callinwildfire
on 9/22/10 2:00 pm - Levels, WV
HI, you have one of the most highly regarded doctors in the state for this surgery right in your backyard, Dr. Bruce Schirmer at UVA. H e has done thousands of these surgeries and travels to foreign countries to donate his services to the underpriveleged. UVA is a teaching hospital and I found it to be top notch. The number is 1-800-251-3627. Good luck in your journey, Pam
KimberlyHeidi
on 9/23/10 3:11 am - VA
 Pam: I have literally begged Dr. S to take me as a patient, but he refuses to take self pay patients. I have been trying to convince him and his staff for years. 
callinwildfire
on 9/23/10 4:24 am - Levels, WV
I am so sorry, that's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. The only reason I can think of is the complication issue, and how expensive it would be should they arise. Sorry I could not be of assistance, perhaps one of the other OHers will have more experience in the self pay area. Best wishes, Pam
KimberlyHeidi
on 9/23/10 6:22 am - VA
 Pam: Thank you and yes that is what he says. I understand it, but I also think its unfair. I dont know if buying insurance would even be worth it since they would probably charge an arm and leg and then I would have to jump through hoops to get surgery im sure.
Carla C.
on 9/24/10 4:41 am - Norfolk, VA
Sentara Medical Group... Dr. Wohlgemuth, or Dr. Fontana... WWW.SENTARAWEIGHTLOSS.COM  Great group., and fun too....
Vicky1971
on 9/26/10 8:54 am
I used Dr. Elariny in Vienna. I was very happy.

KimberlyHeidi
on 9/26/10 9:35 am - VA
I am looking into him and he sounds wonderful. Were you self pay? 
Samantha S.
on 9/27/10 9:13 am

Kimberly,

There is a bariatric surgery center in Roanoke, VA.  They have several surgeons who have performed hundreds and hundreds of bariatric surgeries. 

The surgeon I've chosen is Dr. Dort.  He has an excellent track record.  I've interviewed many of his patients and there have been no major complications reported from any of them.  His medical history is also excellent - no reported malpractice in VA.

The surgery center is owned by Carilion and you can find more information about them online.

Best of luck to you.

strawsergirl
on 9/28/10 2:37 am - VA

Dr. Trahan is with Martha Jefferson Hospital and did my Gastric Bypass he and his staff are wonderful and I highly recommend him.    Good luck on your journey :) 

Office Address 459 Locust Avenue Charlottesville, VA, 22902

Phone Number:

(434) 971-5260 Fax Number: (434) 971-5261

Starting weigh 265
Current Weight 151

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views