hi, I'm new....and stressed with questions

albemarlepippin
on 9/13/10 12:41 pm - Scottsville, VA
I  have been in the process of doing all the pre-surgery work I need to do. I really need this surgery for many reasons--weight not being number one. I have a crushed and collapsed knee that I can't have replaced until I lose weight. I live in EXTREME and chronic pain. I have limited mobility and limited life right now. I was finally put on what I call a pain patch that helps with the pain about the same time I started my 3 month medical supervised diet. I had put on more weight since the knee accident,and because help with pain allowed me more movement I actually lost some weight during the diet. I am with Southern Health/ Coventry obtained through my husband's employee, the city of Charlottesville. The policy has a bariatric rider on the policy. Because I lost weight will I be rejected for surgery? Does anyone know? Has anyone worked with Southern Health? I am going to Martha Jefferson Hospital and Dr. M. Trahan. I am Desperate for this surgery so I can have my knee replaced. My orthopedic doc says he will do my replacement just months after WLS. He isn't going to make me wait until I lose all the weight. I am sorry I sound pathetic, but any help would be very, very appreciated.
callinwildfire
on 9/14/10 1:30 pm - Levels, WV
As long as you meet the required 100pounds overweight or have comorbidities than the weight loss will be a plus for you, it will just be less that you have to loose after surgery.But keep an eye on that marker. I am sorry about your pain issues,and hope that if you have any surgery related issues that you will not hesitate to ask. When are you hoping to get a date scheduled? Keep us informed and best of luck. Pam
Citoeja
on 9/15/10 10:00 am
I also have Southern Health/Coventry thats what insurance is offered at my work.  I just recenty had back surgery I had to have a spinal fusion it took me like 4 appeals just to get them to pay for that.  I really want to have a revision or something like the band over bypass.  I had gastric bypass back on 1998 and needless to say didn't work.  I e-mailed Dr. Trahan office and got an e-mail saying someone would contact me and as of today have not heard a thinkg that was the end of July.  Keep us posted. 
albemarlepippin
on 9/15/10 11:52 am - Scottsville, VA
Trahan told me at my first meeting with him that he doesn't do any revisions. My husband works with a woman that had a revision at UVA(where her original was done). Things went went well for her. Was your original done with Trahan? Why do you think the bypass didn't work for you? Good luck.
mommy2chloe
on 9/15/10 12:10 pm - Charlottesville, VA
I'm not really sure how you answer your questions.. but I wanted to say HI neighbor! I live in Charlottesville. ;o)

I am 3 weeks postop.. I had mine done at UVA.
megan1012
on 9/18/10 7:59 am - alexandria, VA
 Hi there i also had gastric bypass in 1998 and it failed for me just had a revision done on wednesday..Would like to talk more if you have time..Let me know. Thanks
Megan

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/10 5:28 am - Yorktown, VA
If looking into revisions, please do your homework and consider revising to the duodenal switch.  From what I've read, band over bypass is just upping your risks of complications long-term without really increasing your chances of maintaining weight loss long term.

Good luck to you with whatever you decided!
KimberlyHeidi
on 9/22/10 5:11 am - VA
 This is the doctor that I originally picked as I am self pay and UVA does not accept self pay. He emailed me back from my list of questions and told me he has only done a little over 100 gastric bypass surg. I wanted to ask if you were at all concerned with that as that is why I am looking at other surgeons. 
albemarlepippin
on 10/14/10 12:03 am - Scottsville, VA
Sorry to be so late in answering. I haven't been around. Long story short, I have switched to UVA. So why doesn't UVA accept self-pay? Payment is payment in my book.
prissy25
on 10/23/10 11:59 pm - Barboursville, VA
I cant answer your question. But I wanted to say to you I was very limited when I had my surgery back on Oct 31,2005 I was 410 then today 169 I was in a wheel chair on oxygen 24/7 diabetic and on an on so I was scared of failure I have come far an beyound where they even expected me to come . So think positive! It will work if you work the tool. Its not a easy road believe me you have to work the tool to make the progress and there are locals here to help you. I have a support group VA FFP"s we meet every month the 4th Sat your welcome to join us at anytime we are there to support you and anyone else just  shoot me an email and we will add you to the reminder list and  come on out and join us. As far as a revision he dosent do them unless its medically necessary. I tried 2 yrs ago but I went back to basics and  my tool worked again. Best of luck to you and please feel free to ask any questions.
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views