CONFLICTED ABOUT SURGERY

Mimismom1975
on 9/8/10 9:32 am - Dumfries, VA
Hi All,
First I want to tell you all that you are ALL such an inspiration to me and that I have been reading your profiles and following some of you along your journey.
I am contemplating the surgery but I am conflicted and I was looking for reassurance that leaning towards having the surgery done is a great idea.
Im 34 yrs old and 5'6 and weigh 265 and as hard as I tried I cannot lose the weight. I have high blood pressure, my joints ache, I am sluggish. I feel like a walking talking shamu. 
So for a long time I would devise plans on how to get the funds to get the surgery done because my insurance at the time would not cover it but now that I am with an insurance carrier that does cover the surgery, (Kaiser, in case you have any Kaiser stories in VA), I am afraid I am getting cold feet. 
My concerns are;

*Complications during or after the surgery.  
*Loose skin (Kaiser wont cover the plastic surgery)
*Unattractive/dull/grey looking skin due to lack of vitamins, minerals and nutrients. I am African American so this would look very obvious on me. 

I would love to hear about your story and whether or not you recommend this surgery after having done it and if my concerns are valid as they relate to you. Please send me a message if you can because to be honest I am not sure if I can make my way back to my post as I dont remember how I got to this particular forum. 

Thank you for listening.  I look forward to hearing from you

And again you ALL inspire me!
Carla C.
on 9/8/10 9:51 pm - Norfolk, VA

I'm a post-op from Norfolk, VA, and don't regret my decision at all.  Yes I do have loose skin, but I work out at the gym daily and don't have as much as I thought I would.  I am 46 years old. I am one year out as of July 8th.  We have several women in our group in your age group, and because of their young age, (30's) they don't have much loose skin at all.  I lost some hair between months 4-6 and it has come back.  Big deal about the vitamins,... I took them before surgery and so it was no big deal to add a couple more.  I have several websites you can reference.... just email me at apd200 at cavetel dot net   ....didn't know if this site would block my email, so I typed it out....  I have enjoyed this journey and have gained some great new friends... some who lived just a couple blocks from me for over 20 years.... and I never knew them before...

Our surgical group has a great suppport system, and I will help you find others in your area and online....

Carla Cooper
Norfolk, VA

callinwildfire
on 9/9/10 1:10 am - Levels, WV
Hi,Your concerns are completely normal and you would be crazy not to have them. I weighed the same as you when I had my surgery 21/2 years ago, and have very little loose skin because we are considered light-weights. Some have more than others, but our skin elasticity is better. As far as complications go, they happen, but  usually people with a heavier body mass tend to have them. It was the best choice of my life and although it is a total lifestyle change, it is one for the better, and I would do it again in a minute. I am down to 155lbs. and feel like a new woman with more energy and better mobility. You will make the right choice for you. Good luck, Pam.
chrissylyn
on 9/9/10 5:42 am
Hello mimismom,

I am also contemplating the surgery, and I am scared too. I also have Kaiser and they told me that they cover the Lapband wls. Are you with the Federal Gov. cause I know that they have a differnt policy I think. I am trying to go see another doctor, my pcp said that she wont okay the surgery for me. I weigh 274 and still climbing. I am in menoopause to at 42 so I was advised by another person on this site to change back to the woodbrige location cause I live in fredericksburg but I was working in Dale City. So maybe we can help each other.

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/t/wnHMYfp/weight.png

caroline2622
on 9/10/10 4:23 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
There are complications in all surgeries.   Our weight adds to complications.  If you are committed loosing some weight before surgery is invalluable.   You will start having  tests, those tests are invaluation to make sure you are healthy for the surgery.  I

I would suggest practiicing as though you are a weight loss surgery now.   i'e   wait 20 minutes between drinking and eating.   Up your protiein intake and lower your carb intake.  Start using sugar substitutes.   You should be getting set up with a nutitionist to help you with all of  this. 

Once you have surgery we all need to take vitamins for the rest of our lives.  Most of us were low in some anyways.  

Plastic surgery usually is not cover except in cases well documented you may get is approved for medical necessity.   I chose not to wait.  

Suggest going to support groups.   Bluepoint surgical has support groups that  you can meet the surgeons.  No need to know you are with Kaiser.   Woodbridge Potomac Hospital or Fair Oaks hospital have support groups.  

Most of all you need to commit to a new life style.   Which means taking  time for you and loving you.   Good luck and keep in touch.    Do your rearch and it will help you decide what is right for you.    

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
gmurn
on 9/15/10 12:38 am - Sterling, VA
Hi:

I too have Kaiser, and just had the surgery last week.  I had no problem getting qualified through Kaiser, and had wonderful support from my PCP, my Kaiser nutritionist, as well as the surgeon, Dr. Paul Lin at GWU and his medical staff. 

I am a lot older than you, and do worry about the skin, but figure that is a long ways down the line, and the most important thing to me is getting the weight off to improve my quality of life and general health status.  

I chose to go the lap Roux N Y rather than banding as you don't get the health benefits with banding that you do with the full gastric bypass.  

I feel great at just one week post op, went for a 5 minute walk outside yesterday, have been going up and down the stairs multiple times a day, and have very minimal pain already.  I am getting my 60 grams of protein in a day without problems, and next will work on trying to up calories as soon as given the okay.

I don't regret the decision, and though I know I am early in the process, can already see the positive benefits of having made this change in my life for the better.  
  HW 234  SW 222  CW  159  Sur Goal: 175  My goal 140-145                   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views