WLSC Dr. Clark & Sentara Careplex Hampton

jacqony
on 6/6/10 6:34 am - Hayes, VA
I live in Gloucester - just north of Yorktown.  Has anyone out there gone to Dr. Clark or Terracina?  If so, has anyone gotten the sleeve?  I am leaning that way, but would really like to find someone who has gotten that done from them.

I will be borrowing from everywhere to be a self pay and can only make this decision once!  I am a relatively low BMI patient (36 point something).

Anyone have thoughts about Sentara CarePlex in Hampton?

I have a few people trying to convince me to go to Mexico for this.  I want to hear from others out there!  Help!

DElliottMD
on 6/6/10 11:49 pm
I would discourage you from going to Mexico for weight loss surgery. 
WLS is different from just getting some organ removed, like gallbladder surgery.  The surgery is just the beginning of the journey. Long-term follow-up afterwards is key for both success and for prevention of side effects & complications.  To my knowledge, none of the Mexican surgeons provide/arrange for long-term follow-up (unless you want to travel back to Mexico every few months!)
I don't know of any surgeons here in Virginia, myself included, who would provide follow-up for a WLS patient who had their surgery in Mexico.  There may be a few local surgeons who do, but probably at a very steep program fee.  The reason is that all of us have run into some real tragic cases coming out of Mexico, where there is no bariatric credentialling and no quality control.
The initial cost may be more, but I would encourage you to get your WLS procedure by a ASMBS-qualified surgeon near your locality.
Good luck
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
(deactivated member)
on 6/9/10 11:56 am - Yorktown, VA
I'm in Yorktown.  I do not think Dr. Clark does the sleeve (or his partner).  They didn't when I went to a seminar there, but that was back in 2008.  I traveled to Duke (about 3 hours) for the DS with Dr. Sudan.  It has the sleeve stomach, but an intestinal switch as well.  Have you considered this?  There is an excellent DS surgeon in PA (Dr. Peters) who has a decent self-pay rate.  He may do sleeves as well.  His contact info should be at www.dsfacts.com.

I'd consider going to Mexico to see Dr. Ungson ONLY. 
Katie C.
on 8/24/10 8:38 am - VA
I went to one of their seminars last summer and was  under the impression that Dr. Terracina was starting to do sleeves. 

I was self-pay as well and made the decision to go to Monterrey Mexico for my sleeve.  I have a great primary care doctor here who does my follow-up bloodwork, etc., other than that it's been 9 months and I've had no problems.

Good luck deciding what's best for you!
Katie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views