Looking for insurance that will cover WLS

brandy9776
on 5/16/10 3:16 am - Rural Retreat , VA

Hello, I'm new to the state of Virginia, moved here 3 mos. ago and I love it. I live in the Southwestern part of Virginia and I'm looking for work. I want to find a job with insurance beneifits, but I don't know who offers insurance that will pay for WLS. Unfortunately my husband is on Unemployment and Medicaid says he makes to much to be able to that. He hopefully will have a job with a company called Speedco (working on semis). They offer insurance but I don't know if they offer insurance that will pay for my surgery or not. While I'm out looking for work I want to find a job that the insurance will pay for the surgery but I don't know what type of work to look for. Could someone help me out by pointing me in the right direction on where to look, what types of business. I would greatly appreciate any info you guys can give me. Thank you, Brandy

SW: 318  CW: 315  GW: 165

Surgery Date: Aug. 5, 2014 with Dr. Ranjan Sudan

DElliottMD
on 5/17/10 12:45 am

Hello, Brandy, and welcome.
I don't know what employers exist in the part of SW Virginia where you've moved, but here in Richmond, some of the employers that have purchased the WLS "rider" for their employees' health care plan include:
* State of Virginia [Anthem; but.... State of VA "Covacare" now requires 12 month diet before they'll authorize surgery.  Boo!]
*NONE of the local county governments (boo); ie Richmond, Henrico, Chesterfield - school teachers, firemen, police etc.  YOUR county government may; worth a check
*Federal government employees have rider: either Tricare (military) or Federal Blue Cross (civilian)
*Philip Morris
*Verizon
*Most Hospital systems offer the rider: HCA, Bon Secours, ?Carillon
*Banks: CapitalOne, Bank of America, Wachovia
*Kroger
*Alcoa
*Honeywell
*IBM
*JP Morgan
*Aramark
*Georgia Pacific
Hope this helps. Good luck!

David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
brandy9776
on 5/17/10 11:20 am - Rural Retreat , VA

Thank you Dr. Elliott for this info it does help me alot. It's a start on where to look for employment. I'm want to have surgery by the end of the year. That's my goal to find a good job with good health care beneifits to go along with a good job. :) Than work on getting my surgery.\

Thanks again for the push in the right direction.

SW: 318  CW: 315  GW: 165

Surgery Date: Aug. 5, 2014 with Dr. Ranjan Sudan

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/10 6:13 am - Yorktown, VA
My husband works for UPS and they covered mine.  (Not sure if there is a UPS facility out there.)  I've also read that Starbucks' insurance covers it.

Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views