im sooo confused

beth sharp
on 5/13/10 3:44 am
im 4 years out from my gastric bypass.. and by now i should pretty much know everything there is to know about the surgery and life change i had done to myself.. but i dont..   im told different things constantly..    ive been trying to stay under 1200 calories per day and work out 6 days a week.. sometimes work out twice a day at the gym.   and drink over 50oz of water and im told to up my protein as a snack to maybe 3 a day.. more protein more water ill lose weight...  but im now told not to drink extra protein ... less than a year ago i saw dr halmi.. and i had a upper GI  and he told me my pouch has stretched alittle but its okay...  but i was wondering how big of meals are everyone eating.. im told to eat 1 cup.. is that consisting of everything.. salad vegis and chicken or fish?  1 cup of everything combined or each portion?     also i was told not to drink protein if im getting good protein in my meals... so im sooooooo confused... i just left a message with dr halmis nurse to ask her these questions..   ive dropped 27 pounds in the last 6 or 7 weeks... i just want to know how to make this work for me... the right way...

Beth

msdawnie
on 5/13/10 4:23 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
youve dropped 27# in 6 or 7 weeks and you think youre not doing it the right way?  apparently you are.  whatever you are doing is working. 

you want to hear a complaint?   ive been eating right, drinking right and exercising for 6 weeks and have dropped 11.5#    you have lost more than double of what i have, so i think you should just pat yourself on your back and keep doing what you are doing.

-hugs-
dawn

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

beth sharp
on 5/13/10 5:06 am
Thank you Dawn.. but I want to truely understand this surgery and how Im suppose to eat the rest of my life.. and its sad but im doing the homework 4 years out now.. i didnt do alot of homework on  this before  my surgery.. and sadly a few months after the surgery i was dealing with alot of stress with my teenager  i  mean ALOT.. and between her and depression.. I gave up.. i stopped seeing the doctor andstopped going to  meetings and i began to eat anything i wanted.. and as much as i wanted...  on a good note... i plateau'd  for 3 years.. and i didnt gain weight back well up until the baby was born a year ago.. i saw it slowly creeping back on... when i got up to 208.. thats when i put the brakes on...

so a hour ago Dr Halmis nurse forwarded my message to the Nut... thank god she called me back... she is sooo sweet... yes my pouch has stretched alittle but not bad...  and yes normally i should be eating a cup of food. per meal... for the whole meal... a cup.   that just doesnt seem like alot...  she asked if i felt like i was on a diet.  I told her No... I dont feel like Im on a diet.. she asked if i feel hungry after my meals and i dont..   she asked what i eat for breakfast  lunch and dinner..  i also told her i have protein drinks in between.     she mentioned a cup of  food may not be enough for me.. but told me to try to measure my meals.. so tonight for dinner i will measure out a cup of food and see if it satisfies me.. she told me im making healthy choices with my meals  and since im working out,  protein would be good for muscle but if your getting enough in your meals you dont need the extra drinks...

soo... i will continue to work out and maybe cut out 1 protein drink..  less calories...  and measure my food... and drink more water...  

she also explained that procedure that can fix the stoma... well its out of pocket and can be costly and  the patient would be on a liquid diet for a month... but after seeing my upper GI.. dr halmi said my pouch looks ok... so i guess its not that big... lol      i guess the insurance will pay for the surgery but not for our failures with it... makes sense..

take care.. and i do feel alot better after talking with her..

Beth

Pat F.
on 5/13/10 11:46 pm - Richmond, VA
Beth you are doing great and keep up the good work. This is a life changing experience and does not end with the surgery. Make small changes and see what happens.

cpatters
on 5/15/10 10:02 pm - Rockingham County, VA
Sounds like you are motivated to me.... I wish I could be! I am in a HUGE slump... I eat anything and everything. I am depressed about my weight gain, but yet, I cant find it in me to fix it. I need to start back going to the support group meetings... but I just am so busy all the time! I have even stopped working out. You can do this... and you have helped me remember why I had surgery and have given me motivation to move forward....! 
Cathy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew 6:33

Seek ye first the kingdom of God

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views