..starvation mode..

msdawnie
on 5/8/10 7:23 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
yep..court, you may have been right.   i have a coworker, who is also a personal trainer, so i decided to throw out the question.  what do you think??  ..i gave him my scenario.  informed him that i had wls 5 years ago.  that i was trying to lose some weight and how i was going about it.  we added up the calories of a normal day for me (ive been logging) and he said that my body is in starvation mode and thats why im not budging.  it appears that ive been getting about 800 (maybeeee 800, so not quite 800) and with the exercise ive been doing, my body is holding on to everything ive got.  no matter how much water i drink, no matter how much protein i get, im not getting enough calories to sustain myself. 

he believes this is why i was hungry every 2 hours.

sooooo...he's suggesting i up my protein shakes to three times a day.  that, on top of the maybe 800 calories im already getting should bump me up to about 1000-1200 calories a day and he said i should see the weight start to drop off again.

sooooo...protein shakes here i come! 

-hugs-
dawn

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

Ms Court
on 5/10/10 9:28 pm - Remington, VA
That is what I was thinking.  Glad you got some suggestions & hope it just starts melting away...

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

DElliottMD
on 5/13/10 1:47 am
Please see my reply to earlier questions posed by Ms. Court & others.
Although I would respect a personal trainer's opinion on exercise physiology, muscle-building, ROM etc, unless he/she has a great deal of experience with WLS anatomy & nutritional science, I would be careful in evaluating this advice.
After all - you were in "starvation mode" a full year after your RNY, and yet managed to lose weight, did you not?  The whole point of RNY or Lap-Band surgery is to trick the mind into thinking it's NOT in starvation mode - yes, you truly ARE, yet you're not constantly HUNGRY because your pouch nerve endings signal your hypothalamus in your brain that you're SATISFIED, and these signals override the hunger signals of starvation mode.  [also, with RNY there are other hormonal triggers that suppress hunger like leptin & protein-YY, but those are theoretical and beyond complicating the issue].
Also, the only REAL way of dianosing starvation mode is to measure your urine for ketones [easy to do; teststrips from pharmacy; frequently done with Atkins diet].  I wouldn't be surprise if you were, but that doesn't mean you can't lose weight.  Loss of weight is still a simple equation: calories in< calories out.  You may be adding muscle mass, but that's not a bad thing.  However, 2-3 extra protein drinks a day may be adding a lot of calories you really don't need.
The bottom line is that if you are eating & drinking right (see my other post) and STILL hungry between meals, it means you might have an issue with your pouch or your stoma.  I would encourage you to see your surgeon to a) review with him the very habits you described in your post, including a journal of 2 weeks of calorie intake, and b) if your habits are spot-on, have him consider an Upper GI to assess your pouch & stoma.
Good luck!
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
msdawnie
on 5/13/10 3:14 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
thank you so much for your reply.   i had an upper gi done last year and he states everything looked fine.  i have been logging/journaling for 6 weeks now and called today for a RX to have bloodwork done and scheduled an appointment with him for Friday, May 28th. 

yes, im building muscle mass (i have seen a difference)  and have done measurements which show inches lost. so, i will go over everything with him as you suggested as well.  another possible reason could be that i am hypothyroid (but have been off supplementation since 4 months out of wls and levels have been normal since) and its been over a year since checking that level, so he will be checking that as well to make sure that isnt a possible reason for the difficulty im seeing.

again, thank you for your reply and information.

dawn

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views