Problems sleeping

susiecme
on 4/29/10 11:17 am - Wirtz, VA
I am two days post op. When I lay down to sleep I start feeling Like I'm suffocating. I feel like I can't get up and that's when I start feeling like I can't breath. Has anyone else felt this way?? I never used a CPAP or BIPAP mask, so I don't really understand why this is happening.
Ms Court
on 4/29/10 10:26 pm - Remington, VA
Well I can't say that I felt that after surgery but it does sound pretty scary.  Is there anyway you can prob yourself up so that you don't feel trapped?  A recliner is great, a bunch of pillows behind your head, sleep on the couch where you can prop up better.  One thing I found after surgery that helped was wearing my binder to bed so that it didn't hurt so much when I moved and sleeping on my side with my belly kind of propped up on a pillow.  Hope it gets better for you.  Definitely check in with your doctor and see if he/she has any answers or suggestions.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

DElliottMD
on 4/30/10 12:20 am
I agree with Ms. Court's note.
Many undergoing weight loss surgery have latent sleep apnea, whether or not they knew of symptoms beforehand, and this can come out after surgery due to anesthetic drugs, post-op pain drugs, etc.
First response should be to prop your head & shoulders up, as suggested; many sleep in recliner chair for first week or so.
Also use your spirometer regularly to keep your lungs expanded (you should have had one in the hospital and been given it to take home to work on your breathing).
Definitely call your surgeon & let him know of your difficulties.  He knows your medical history and the nuances of your operation and is the right person to help you.
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
msdawnie
on 4/30/10 9:48 am - Stafford, VA
RNY on 02/16/05 with
i slept in a recliner for weeks after my surgery ...perhaps an anxiety attack?

High-291/Low-168/Goal-175/Current-184

Jennifer G.
on 6/2/10 9:55 am - Norfolk, VA
I slept in a recliner for a few weeks after my surgery. Maybe too much pressure on u too early or maybe anxiety. Try sitting up!! :) Good luck!

Jen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views