Has anyone had revision surgery with Bluepoinit?

Mary B.
on 4/19/10 10:45 pm - Southern, MD
I was banded Feb last year by Dr Tran. Im now considering a revision to a more agressive surgery because I am totally failing with the band.

Im going to call this morning to try to make an appt to discuss a revision. Just looking for thoughts I guess. Im worried they will say no because If I couldnt make the band work, what makes them think I can make something else work.

I guess Im asking if they were willing to discuss it? When I had surgery last year the band was the only surgery I was really considering at the time, but its just not for me.

Thank you
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

DElliottMD
on 4/19/10 11:01 pm
Hi Mary,

Can't speak to particular insurance plans, but in general they will approve revision surgery from band to bypass (far fewer from band to sleeve gastrectomy) as long as your surgeon can provide good evidence that you've tried your best to make the band work, and you still meet the criteria for surgery otherwise (BMI >40, or >35 with health problems).

That means that you've come back for regular follow-up appointments, kept it in adjustment through band-fills, and regularly attest to your surgeon you've eaten healthy and followed a regular exercise program.

In reality, there is a percentage of band patients (10%?) that do everything right, but just can't lose weight with the band.  The bypass can still be an effective tool even if the band didn't work for you.

Good luck!

David Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
Road Less Travelled
on 6/14/10 1:18 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
I am in the same situation.  I have a 4cc band - that filled to the max -- I have restriction -- and can't eat much at one time --- sounds good eh?  well no, becasue the restriction only lasts 2 hrs and then I am hungry -- too hungry -- so when hungrry what do I do....,   bottom line - I did not get the band to be hungry.

plus, when I eat - it hurts -- not like a "stuck" hurt - rather as the food is going down my esophagus is hurts.  Getting stuck (which is so unpredictable) is another issue all together

I'd like to get a revision from band to sleeve -- now that AETNA covers the sleeve

doc appt is July 7th -- hope to get upper GI prior so I can see if I have a mecanical band failiure

my weight loss? -- so/so -- but still need to loose another 100 - and after 3 yrs (90%) of weight lost the 1st year I doubt the band will do it for me
Mary B.
on 4/19/10 11:07 pm - Southern, MD
Thank you for the info. I have had 5 fills and 1 unfill as well as appointments and emails with the NUT at the office.

BTW, the Dr is with Bluepoint Surgical Group and I have BC/BS Fed insurance.

Thanks again! Im feeling excited again like maybe I really will win the battle, Ive got my gameface on again!
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

callinwildfire
on 4/20/10 2:30 pm - Levels, WV
Hi, I have not had this experience, but had seen several people on this board who for whatever reason have not been sucessful with the band. How wonderful for us that we now have another doctor willing to participate in our forum! I can say that my doctor recommended the gastric bypass for this very reason and told me up front that a lot of patiants came back unhappy with desires for a revision. I can tell you that I have not regretted my decision for a minute although it is a permanant lifestyle change and one that needs to be considered carefully. Good luck in your new journey,and I'm sure you will find much support here. Pam
DElliottMD
on 4/20/10 11:30 pm
Thanks.  Glad to take part.  And, yes, lifestyle changes should be permanent and lifelong, after BOTH bypass and banding.  I've found that, although most Band patients can be successful with that WLS tool, there are a few who can benefit from revision to bypass.  Conversely, we've also seen in our practice a few Bypass patients (maybe 5% or so?) who for technical reasons have regained weight, and actually benefit from putting a Band over the bypass.

David Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/10 4:06 am, edited 4/21/10 4:08 am - Yorktown, VA
Don't forget to look into revising to a DS (duodenal switch) as well.  Make sure you learn about all procedures, their required lifestyle changes, long term stats, etc. before making this decision.  Unfortunately, you already know what it's like to choose a procedure that did not work for you (I"m not saying this is your fault), so I know that you want to make sure you do choose the best possible procedure for you this time around.  It might be RNY, but you can't really make an informed choice until you explore all options (inlcuding DS and VSG).

Also, if your surgeon does not perform the DS (and there is only one in VA who does), then it's pretty typical to get inaccurate information on the procedure (for instance horror stories about diarhhea, etc.).  Dr. Elariny in NOVA does it, but has a hefty out of pocket expense for a lot of people.  I went to Dr. Sudan at Duke in NC (only about 2 hours south of Richmond).

Good luck to you in making this important decision!

ETA:  I see you're actually in southern MD.  There are also DS surgeons up the midatlantic coast in PA, NY and NJ, too.
caroline2622
on 4/21/10 8:53 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Dr Moazzez and Dr Halmi have done the Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy.    I have been very blessed with no issues.   All these surgeries do have their issues and should be researched and discuss with you doctor (s) .  

Dr Mo wanted me to have the RNY which I found too many friends with issues.  I was looking into the band when I found out about the Sleeve.   I am glad I did it and at Fair Oaks Hospital. 

Good luck and do your research

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Road Less Travelled
on 6/14/10 1:19 pm
VSG on 12/13/10 with
Dr Moazzez did your Sleeve?  I was told only Halmi does the revisions.  I really like Moazzez. 

I have an appointment with him on July 7th
caroline2622
on 6/15/10 7:06 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with

Good Luck    Dr Mo is great!   Pam in his office is really great.  Since they changed over to Blue point the rest of the staff is soso.   Talk to Pam when you have any issues     

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views