Hernia Surgery

DanC73
on 4/17/10 11:29 pm - Fairfax, VA
Hi Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on the site.  I hope everyone is well.

I have been diagnosed with multiple hernias and will have them fixed on Monday, April 26.  I'm just wondering if anyone here had undergone similar surgery and want to hear about their experience.

Have a great day :)

Ms Court
on 4/18/10 10:49 pm - Remington, VA
Sorry Dan no hernia experience here.  Very common after surgery though.  My stepmom had one after her surgery but it wasn't found until they went to do a tummy tuck.  Surgery was smooth, recovery was normal. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

dlo2
on 4/19/10 6:36 am - Brandenburg, KY
Hi Dan,  I don't have any hernia experience but would be interested in what your symptoms were.
Thanks
Debbie
caroline2622
on 4/19/10 9:16 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I had an extended tummy tuck with small hernia surgery in December.    I was lucky that  I did not need any webbing to hold it in.    I do feel a small amount of pulling when going from a lying down position to sitting ... almost like I have done alot of situps. 

After surgery I has a belly pack with an insert for pain.   It looked like a small kids football and it shrunk real tiny.   Was great and I was not in any great pain.    Keep in mind I had no webbing and no lipo since I was only having skin removed.  

I do understand webbing an be uncomfortable and you should ask your surgeon about that part.    

Best of luck !  

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
DanC73
on 4/19/10 8:39 pm - Fairfax, VA
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  It's much appreciated.

Debbie - I sent you a private message that briefly outlines my symptoms.  Please let me know iff anyone else is interested in hearing about them.  I post them in here if you are.
Ms Court
on 4/20/10 2:55 am - Remington, VA
I would be interested in your symptoms if you don't mind sharing.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

DanC73
on 4/20/10 7:50 am - Fairfax, VA
On April 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM Pacific Time, Ms Court wrote:
I would be interested in your symptoms if you don't mind sharing.
I just sent you a PM
rduck8
on 4/20/10 10:08 pm
RNY on 03/17/09 with
I would like to know the symptoms so please post them
DElliottMD
on 4/20/10 11:51 pm
Hi all,

Hate to see Dan put on the spot, describing his symptoms in front of God & everybody!  Therefore, let me just generally tell you guys about hernias, how they present & what we can do about them.

Hernias are just holes in the lining of the abdominal cavity.  They can occur in the diaphragm (hiatal hernias); not all those need to be fixed - UNLESS you get a Lap-Band, in which case they HAVE to be fixed or else the band can go up in the chest. Which isn't good. 

Most hernias occur in the abdominal WALL; some are spontaneous/inherited, like groin and umbilical hernias ("outties" in kids).  Others occur in prior surgical incisions - we call these incisional or ventral hernias.  Hernias are more common in larger incisions than in laparoscopic incisions.

Hernias don't have to be symptomatic - many have no pain or discomfort at all, just a visible LUMP that pops out, especially with straining, coughing etc.  They CAN be painful however, right over the site of the lump usually.  Other symptoms include nausea and vomiting, although that's uncommon.

Hernias should USUALLY be fixed surgically, due to the danger that they can become trapped ("incarceration") or pinched off ("strangulation").  These are dangerous conditions, a twisting off of the intestines like a kinked garden hose.  Generally, the more pain a person has from their hernia, the higher the chance it could lead to incarceration or strangulation, & it's a good idea to seek your surgeon's advice ASAP about getting it fixed.

We can fix hernias both open and laparoscopically, with both suture and with reinforcing mesh (most incisional hernias are fixed with mesh these days).  You and your surgeon should decide on what's best - open, laparoscopic, mesh or not.

Hope this is helpful
David C. Elliott, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Bariatric Surgeon & Bariatric Medical Director
Parham Doctors' Hospital
Richmond, VA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views