protein

beth sharp
on 3/30/10 5:47 am

hi everyone.. im back on track and lost almost 10 pounds.. and counting..  Ive been taking my vitamins again and want to start going back to the group meetings in fredericksburg.. but the protein is what i have a question on... when i had my surgery i think i was suppose to drink 50 to 100g of protein.. i cant remember the amount .. but obviously i stopped drinking it.. its been 4 yrs since my gastric bypass... but ive been drinking eas shakes.. protein  which have 170calories and have 20 grams.. i drink one in the morning.. but i also bought some protein powder to add to water... so  to get fully back on track and eat like i just had the surgery.... how much protein should i be drinking and what kind... powder or these eas shakes?    and what vitamins are most of you taking 2 to 4 years out...?

thank you    beth
caroline2622
on 3/30/10 9:56 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Beth   Congratulations on making the committment.  

Sorry I cannot answer your questions on the vitamins as I had the VSG but I do take vitamins but understand I do not have the malabsorbtion issues other surgeries do.   

Have you had your blood work tested?   Good idea to make sure you are not lacking.  

Take care !

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Tam
on 3/30/10 11:52 am - Richmond, VA
Hi Beth.  Congratulations on your success getting back on track.  As far as the protein, each surgeons office is different.  I still focus on getting in 100 grams of protein daily, with a combination ofr shakes and food.  As far as what kind (EAS or powder), well, it really does not matter.  Just make sure it is Whey protein which is easier for us gastric bypass patients to digest.  I prefer the EAS or another form of RTD (ready to drink) because it is easier.  EAS also comes in powder.  I do caution to make sure you are using the regular EAS and not the MyoPlex.  The Myo one has way too many carbs and calories. 

As for vitamins...this scares me and makes me angry.  Your surgeons office should have expressed to you that taking your vitamins is a LIFE LONG committment!  We will NEVER absorb all of  what we need ever again!  YOU should also be having annual checks on your blood levels to make sure you are within normal ranges.  Heres a list of what I take and I get them from bariatric advantage. 

calcium 2 x a day, am and pm
multi vitamin 1 x a day, lunch time
vit d 1 x a day, lunch time
b-12, sublingual, 1 x a day, lunch time
iron 1 x a day, lunch time

THE IRON ONLY NEEDS TO BE TAKEN IF YOU HAVE NOT GONE THRU MENOPAUSE AND THE IRON CAN NOT BE TAKEN WITHIN TWO HOURS OF TAKING THE CALCIUM.  ALSO, YOU CAN NOT DRINK ANY FOR OF TEA WITH THE CALCIUM OR IRON AS IT HALTS THE ABSORBTION.

Please feel free to message me with any questions.  I am almost five years post op, have had a baby and not had any regain.  I have lost all of my baby weight.  I still drink four or five protein drinks daily. 

Your surgery was a life long committment to better health, not an easy fix!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Ms Court
on 3/30/10 10:56 pm - Remington, VA
Good Morning Beth!  Congrats on the 10 lbs.  Sounds like you are getting everything in order.

1. Protein drinks = the EAS ready to drink are good for your needs as long as they are whey protein.  If you like them go for it.  The powders are good too, you can mix with water, coffee, milk, crystal light, etc.  Helps to give you more variety.  Some people who don't get in a lot of food use more protein drinks through the day to make sure they get in enough.  I do one per day.  So depending on what you are getting from your food intake, one or two a day is probably good.

2. Vitamins - every dr. recommends differently and there have been changes over the years as to what they want.  If you haven't had your levels tested in awhile it would be a good idea to get them done.  Here is what I am supposed to take (not regular with it, it is one of the areas I slid in and am struggling to get back into).

Ist thing in a.m.: sublingual B12, depending on the dose I either do it every day or every other
At Breakfast & Lunch: Solaray 2x daily high energy multi vitamin (I use the iron free), citracal petites
At bed time: Vitron C (purchase at CVS, recommeded by my nut. & her suggestion to take at night for better absorbtion results)

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

beth sharp
on 3/30/10 11:26 pm
thank you...   for the last few weeks ive been getting vitamins down... 2 multi... 1    1000g b-12   pill form..   2 calcium... i just need to figure out when and what kind.. i need to get myself on a routine schedule and live by it... i am so angry with myself for letting all of this go... i could be so much smaller...     theres alot i need to do...  1.  slow down when i eat... im probably consuming to much before my pouch says  ouch....    ive done alot better at not grazing anymore.. im on this wagon and will not get off this time... im kicking myself in the butt now..   so im going to go buy new protein drinks and  use them as my 2 snacks...     ive been on this notion that i need to stay under 1200 calories so ive been counting like crazy.. and i just felt a 120 calorie protein drink would make me go over..      i started working out big time.. and now im starting to go to the gym twice a day.. first thing in the morning at 5 when the family is sleeping then at 4 when kids get home from school...

i will be honest here... i know ive failed at this.. i know what i should of been always doing but slacked off.. im the worst patient.. and if i feel fine i didnt think i needed the protein and vitamins anymore.. but i do... today.... my sister in law is having the lap band put in at noon.. and its a slap in the face.. or a wake up call.. that i had gastric bypass 4 years ago and ive been steady 190 to 195 for the last 2 years.. ive never reached my goal weight.. and its time i do...    i love my sister in law.. but i cant have her see me in august and shes lost a ton of weight in 5 months and im still where ive been...   i had the surgery.. i will use my tool...

and i love this web site..  and everyone on it... thank you.. so today im Calling dr halmis office for a check up.. blood work and to talk about protein and vitamins...

Beth
beth sharp
on 3/31/10 12:01 am
i feel better already.. just spoke to the office.. they are sending me my form to go get my blood work done before my monday appt with the Nut...   : )    then while im there ill decide if i want to make a appt to see the doctor..

caroline2622
on 3/31/10 8:05 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
BETH !   No failure here ... We all have our struggles.   Dr Halmi has an on staff Nutrionist now.  

Hope you will stick with us and help each with our struggles and successes to keeping the weight off

Thank you for sharing

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
dlo2
on 3/31/10 5:19 am - Brandenburg, KY
Hi Beth, just wanted to say hello, and to tell you to stop beating yourself up.  You have gotten back on track and that is what counts.  You will make it this time. 

Ms Court
on 3/31/10 10:56 pm - Remington, VA
Beth, definitely sounds like you are well on the road to getting back on track.  We all stumble in our journey, don't beat yourself up.

One thing that concerned me on your vitamin list was your B-12.  Because of the RNY our stomachs do not absorb the B-12 in pill form which is why we are supposed to use the sublingual (under the tongue).  If you aren't using the sublingual you will need to switch in order to get teh absorbtion that you need.  Your labs will help a lot to let you know where you stand.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views