Stinky Poops/Gas!! I can't take it anymore!!!

Cassandra B.
on 2/23/10 2:12 am - Alexandria, VA

This is embarassing, but what the heck...

I hate that after I eat,  my stomach sounds like there is thunder outside, or sounds like I'm farting, when in fact that is not the case.  It's really embarassing.

What can I do about all this gas I have?  Is the sound ever going to go away after I eat?
Why do my poops/farts smell so badly...much, much worse then before I had my surgery?

Note:  I had my surgery April 28th of 2008.  I went from 281 lbs (size 3x) to no a nice 155 (size 7). Woo-Hoo!

Cass

Ms Court
on 2/23/10 4:22 am - Remington, VA
I don't think the stomach noises ever go away.  Most all of us have them in varying degrees.

As for the gas/poops/farts, this can be somewhat controlled by what you eat & medicines like gas x or beano.  Again not much you can really do about it though.

Sorry that it is something that you are very bothered by.  I hope that you can find a solution, perhaps talk with your dr. about options.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 2/23/10 4:41 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hi, Cass: 

Courtney covered it -- I also would suggest you contact your surgeon's office and see what they recommend. 

Congrats on such a wonderful weight loss! 
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

caroline2622
on 2/23/10 4:52 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Cass talk with Dr. Mo's nurse Pam..  Ask if increasing water intake may help.    

I am sorry you are having issues, I do not have the gas issue too much.  I do know if I drink too fast I take in air I have issues,,,,,  Make sure you are not using a straw.   Did it once and never never again.... Major gas attack and explosive..   

Keep track of what you are eating vs the gas.  That may help.

Keep in touch and look forward to hearing from you again on the VA Forum

Caroline

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/10 11:36 pm - Yorktown, VA
What surgery did you have?  I know with the DS too many carbs/sugar can cause gas. 
Cassandra B.
on 3/11/10 12:17 am - Alexandria, VA
I had the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery. Snip-Snip!
Biker33
on 3/7/10 4:25 am - Partlow , VA
I have been having gas and stomac nosies alo more latley I will get some gasx an try it tatnks for postng this. 

Sara S.
on 3/10/10 8:19 pm - Harrisonburg, VA
I have these issues all the time too. Right now it's much worse because I'm taking potassium supplements and the side effects are--you guessed it--severe gas, nausea, and diarrhea.

I had the DS so I know with my surgery, foods I eat greatly effect the severity. The richer the food (carbs), the worse the gas. This is because our food does not get completely digested/absorbed which provides for normal bacteria in the gut to have a rich diet. Bacteria give off gas. Also, with the DS, a high fat diet will create more frequent and looser stools. So there's the why of it. Although RNY probably doesn't work exactly the same way, I'd say that the factors are along the same line.

As for the solution, you can monitor closely what you are eating, but we all eat things that are going to cause this. I've found that I just use a little bit of everything since no one thing is a solution. I use probiotics to replenish the good bacteria in the gut. I have some beano before I eat and some gas-x after I eat. I use Devrom to try to control the smell, which doesn't always help. So for those times when I must poop and it's stinky, I keep one of those small spray cans of Ozium that fit well in the pocket and a small spray will eliminate odors. If the gas gets really out of control and painful, my surgeon will prescribe flagyl, an antibiotic that targets the bacteria in the gut.

Hope this is helpful.

Cassandra B.
on 3/11/10 12:14 am - Alexandria, VA
Thanks so much Sara, I really appreciate the information in your post.

Thanks to all. Great advice everyone!
Tam
on 3/11/10 3:25 am - Richmond, VA
You can buy a supplement called Devrom (go to devrom.com) and it is AMAZING!  It works wonders!  Otherwise, I watch what I eat and I know my "trigger" foods...too much fat/carbs/sugars and especially broccoli!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views