Disturbing Conversation

MerMer
on 2/16/10 12:15 am, edited 2/16/10 2:20 am
Hello All
I hope everyone is doing well. Happy Belated Valentine's Day

This morning I was talking to a coworker and another coworker walked up to us and started telling us about a friend of hers that had passed away. She went on to say that her friend had the gastric bypass surgery about 6 years ago and at how the surgery is so bad for people. I didn't say anything I just listened to her, I don't share my personal business with her because she is one of the office gossips. As a matter of fact I haven't shared it with any of my coworkers. I keep personal business just that personal.

But she went on to say that the life span for people who have the surgery is 10 to 12 years after the surgery. I don't believe that. She went to say how she has done exstensive research on this surgery and most people die after 10 to 12 years because of malnutrition.

I am too upset to even research because I don't want to even think that it could be half true. Have any of you heard this before. Are there any long timers out there that can ease my nerves on this.

I am only 42 and I would hate to think that I had this surgery to help stick around longer to see my grands and only to find out that it may help to shorten it.

Tam
on 2/16/10 12:59 am - Richmond, VA
I am happy to report that the information your coworker shared is FALSE!!!!!  My cousin and my aunt are both over 20 years post op and I know tons of people over 15 years post op and they are doing wonderful.  It is important to have your yearly checkups with your surgeon (for life, not just until you reach goal) and it is important to take your vitamins and have your blood checked.  If you want to be successful then you have to make a life change forever. 

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

MerMer
on 2/16/10 2:17 am, edited 2/16/10 2:18 am
Thanks Tammy,

I have calmed down now some.

Even though I still don't eat alot of food, but of what I do eat I besure that it is good protein. I take my vitamins everyday and keep my appts with my surgeon, I think I may get on his nerve soemtimes, but I just like to be sure that I am doing the correct thing.

My last appt. showed everything was good except my vitamin D was low. So I take a vitamin D supplement once a week.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/10 9:07 am - Yorktown, VA
Depending on how low it is, you may need more than once a week supplementation.  You can post on the MB to andrea of vitalady for a good opinion from people who know their stuff.  (Not that I'm saying your surgeon/nutritionist don't....)
Penny Denny
on 2/16/10 7:07 am - Collinsville, VA
I think your "friend" is confused. I believe that people that have bypass surgery adds 10-12 years to their life expectancy. I will research it some more,but I think I have read this somewhere.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

MerMer
on 2/16/10 9:07 am
Thanks Pennny

Ms Court
on 2/16/10 9:16 pm - Remington, VA

With all the research that I did  the main thing I noticed is that you have to get in the correct foods, nutrients, vitamins, etc.  There can be major complications, sickness, death if you don't.  That is why it is so important to have the follow up with the surgeon and bloodwork checked.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

lysb
on 2/28/10 4:03 am - Alexandria, VA
Wow, that was disturbing to read, but you had a lot of good answers already, so i'll just send you a cyber ((((HUG)))
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views