Hello OH! Re-intro and questions...

Lisa W.
on 1/22/10 1:11 pm - Charles Town, WV
RNY on 08/21/07 with
Hi all...

For those that do not know me, I am Lisa.  I had RNY on August 21, 2007.  I had a lot of complications that followed and spent the vast majority of the past 2.5 years trying to figure out how to fix it. 
Thankfully, I have an awesome team at Johns Hopkins who took over my case from Dr. Mo last summer.  Dr. Mo is still totally awesome and I can't wait until I'm at a point in which I can be released back into his care!

I have a few questions.  Anyone with info, please jump in for me...
I will be having a reversal of the RNY in approx, 6 months.  While in the OR, Dr. S will reverse the RNY and then cross staple lines and do a VSG.  My question here is mostly for any "light weights" that have had VSG.  I no longer technically qualify for WLS but, this is for the treatment of ulcers that I have due to extreme abnormal malabsorption.  My body has taken the Malabsorption part of the RNY to the vast extreme and the only way to correct that is to put my small bowel back to where it should be. 
My medical team has a great deal of concern over the amount of weight I will lose post revision.  So, I'm trying to get an idea from those of you who started on the "lower" end of how much you needed to lose and you had the VSG--what is/was your progress like. 

Second, I know that there are several OH'ers who have suffered similar complications post RNY.  What I have seen and been struggling personally with is the lack of support for those with post op complications that are either recurrent or chronic, etc.  I'm going to ask this here first, because this is my WLS 'home' page.  If there is anyone here who has suffered any complication that seems to be an ongoing issue or one that pops up repeatedly, is there an interest in forming an online small support system outside of OH to help one another? 
A frequent issue that I've been plagued with and have also helped other get through, is a lack of belief that ulcers cause pain or some of the symptoms that myself and my fellow sufferers display.  I also see a lot of depression in dealing with the chronic pain.  I can offer a unique perspective because I am a Nurse as well as a patient.

I don't post often but, I do try to keep up with everything by reading everyone's stories and journeys.  You can also find me on FB.  I look forward to reconnecting with some of you, speaking with some of you and meeting some of you! 
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Lisa Warf
RNY 8/21/2007
Starting weight 348
Current weight  188
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/10 8:22 am - Yorktown, VA

Sorry to hear about your complications, but am glad that you have a team that has come up with a plan of action. 

I think you could ask that your sleeve be made on the larger side in order to help limit the weightloss after the revision.

Have you also posted this on the VSG forum?  I'm sure you'd get a lot more responses there.

Good luck!

wjoegreen
on 1/24/10 12:33 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
I can't speak to the revision and VSG, but the stomach ulcers and related internal bleeding and stomach acid issues I had before my RNY kept me nausaous and ill almost weekly before my RNY.  I sounds like you are in good hands and doing a good thing.  Best of luck to you. I really hope this revision works out for you and your efforts for a better quality of life.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views