Need Help ASAP!!!

Joyce P.
on 1/22/10 3:17 am - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14
OK, here is my deal. I am out of work permantely per my doctors request, so I am only covered on my hubby's ins and they exclude the surgery all together. Here is my question. Is there a private ins co in VA, near Halifax that covers the  WLS (DS) ins and doesn't hold you acctable for pre-exsisting conditions and is not so expensive. This is the only reason I would obtain the private ins, is to have the WLS, and if there is such a ins co that does this , how long would you have to wait before you could actually use the ins. I have had 4 doctors tell me that it is life or death. I need this surgery and don't know how in the world I could ever self-pay. My credit is not the best in the world, and I don't have any rich family, so any suggestion you could throw my way would much appricated. Thanks in advance.

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/10 8:27 am - Yorktown, VA

Were you previously covered under insurance through your employment?  Did you opt not to extend it via cobra and instead went on your husband's insurance?  Was there any time gap between switching insurances?  My understanding is that the pre-existing condition laws have been changed and that it will only count against you if you have been UNinsured....so if there has been no gap and you do find another insurance and there is no gap when changing, then they cannot use the pre-existing condition to exclude you.  (Did that make sense?  I feel like it's not coming out right.)

I don't know anything about private insurance, but I guess you can just start looking online and calling them all and asking. 

Good luck to you!

Penny Denny
on 1/23/10 8:49 am - Collinsville, VA
I purchased my own insurance at the time of surgery. My hubby and I own a business so we had to buy our own insurance through BC/Bs of Va. We added a "weight loss rider" for about $140/month and had to keep it for a year.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Joyce P.
on 1/23/10 1:13 pm - Halifax, VA
DS on 11/07/14
Thanks for your response. When you talked to someone about this ins. Did you tell them you wanted the ins for WLS? Is so what did they say. When you talked to this person what kind of questions do they ask? And did you have to get a physical, or pay any money up front? After you got the ins Penny, how long did you have to have it before you could use it. i just trying to get some insite before I call them. I thought we had a local BC/BS here in our little town, but can't find it in the phone book.
Thanks,
Joyce

Joyce P
Halifax, Virginia

Penny Denny
on 1/25/10 9:17 am - Collinsville, VA
I was honest about what I was going to do. We had a certain insurance rep that we had used for several years and was going through Va. Health Network. He was wanting us to switch to BC/Bs so I told him I would if it covered WLS. He did some research and got me the insurance I needed. I was immediately covered and started on my journey then. I did have to agree to keep the insurance for a year without any changes.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views