Gallbladder symptoms

caroline2622
on 1/22/10 4:05 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Heide just had gallbladder surgery.    I got me thinking what are the symptoms of a gallbladder attack. 

Could someone explain the symptoms   Thanks

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Katie C.
on 1/22/10 7:28 am - VA
Symptoms can vary but mine started with a very uncomfortable gassy feeling in my chest, you think you can burp it out but it doesn't help, then sharp chest pains on left side ...you wonder if you're having a heart attack, then just as quickly as they appear (usually after a high fat meal), the symptoms are gone...I had this several times before I ended up in the ER the last time cause the symptoms went on for hours instead of minutes.

caroline2622
on 1/22/10 8:08 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Thank you for sharing fellow VSG er     I have not experience any think like that.  

I do understand we as WLS patients we are at become higher risk for Galbadder issues.    Interesting I ask a bander friend and she was getting alot food backing up thru the nasal canals.   As an early bander she did not understand what was happening and suffered for a long time.  

We need to share these experiences amongst us .......   Again thanks for sharing

Do you have any issues after surgery ... friend cannot eat anything fried...

lost 140 lbs     

Katie C.
on 1/22/10 11:43 am - VA
I had surgery 12 years ago, way before I had WLS...I didn't have any restrictions on eating afterwards, heck I have more restrictions with VSG!
Heide A.
on 1/22/10 8:07 pm - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
Good Morning all! As to the symptoms I had with my gall bladder,it seem more like I had an ulcer. I had pain in my abdomen every time I ate, but it radiated to my upper right and my back, that is what had Dr. Moazzzez' think it was gall bladder not not just an ulcer. So he had me do a stat ultra sound on Thursday of last week(1/14). I saw my GI the same day as the ultra sound the set me up for an EGD to make sure no ulcer. On Monday (1/18) Pam from Dr Mo's office called and said my gall bladder needed to come out that I had a polyp on it, not stones but a polyp, so  Friday morning it came out. I now have 6 little incision sites on my belly and alot of pain.
364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

caroline2622
on 1/22/10 9:37 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Wow    Heide you have certainly gone thru alot !      thank you for sharing this.   Hope this will help others understand the possible symptoms. 

Take care of yourself and will keep the prayers going for you to recover quickly.

lost 140 lbs     

wjoegreen
on 1/24/10 12:43 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
A little differnt twist, sorry for being so late responding to this post,....
I use to have some sour tasing belches and the I'd be throwing up with 30 minutes to an hour.  I would just keep throwing up until I got so dehydrated I'd black-out.  The doctors kept checking me for ball stones but there weren't any.  When they finally removed my gall bladder, it was of a sandy consistency which reflected it was diseased and not processing properly causing a yellow bial to back up into my stomach that made me sick.  They never found any stones that create a blockage and make you sick in the typical diagnosis.  Since my gall bladder was removed at my RNY I have had no more such symptons or nausea and vomiting attacks. Don't know if that helps but thought I would share since it is an unusal or atypical situation, but it does happen.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
caroline2622
on 1/25/10 6:01 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Wow Joe  Great feedback   thank you !!

lost 140 lbs     

Ms Court
on 1/24/10 9:58 pm - Remington, VA
I actually reacted to dairy products.  Think the 1st few times it happened I chalked it up to dumping & didn't understand.  Then suddenly one day after eating I had the worst abdominal cramps, felt like a fist in the middle of my abdomen just squeezing.  A coworker who had also had WLS and already had the gall bladder issues told me to go to ER, of course the pain had stopped by the time I got there.  The blood test did not show anything, neither did CT scan.  Happened again next day, called my surgeon PA who explained that the blood test won't show anything unless the stones are out in the canals, ordered me an ultrasound and sure enough I had stones, right at the opening.

It is a highly common side affect due to the rapid weightloss.  Could be a reaction to fatty foods, veggies like lettuce/broccoli, dairy, etc.  More common in women, within fetility age.  My advice to any who think they are experiencing gall bladder issues, do not rely on the blood work, demand an ultrasound.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

caroline2622
on 1/25/10 6:02 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Super feedback    Hopefully this will help others and keep them from suffering

Thanks !!

lost 140 lbs     

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views