Protein Shakes at Costco...?

CandaceHasCurves
on 1/16/10 5:04 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Everyone!

I've finished my 3 month prep and am waiting on insurance approval (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) which should come in the next week or two (I'm told)...so please cross your fingers for me! :)

I'm curious if anyone has tried the different protein shakes/powders at Coscto and what they thought of them?

Premier Nutrition High Protein Shake (choc) has 30g of protein in 11oz...

Muscle Milk Protein Shake is 24g of protein in 8.5 oz (choc)

Muscle Milk Portein Plus Powder is 26 g of protein for every scoop

Eas is 27 g of protein for every two scoops...

Anyone tried these? How do they taste? Any tummy aches afterwards?

I've had the kirkland signature weightloss drink but that is only 10g of protein and 36 or 38 g of sugar...so even though I like it, it wont be enough after surgery, right? Plus I'm concerned about that much sugar--that's the same as in a Coke!

Any feedback would be fabulous--I'm looking forward to HOPEFULLY being approved and spending a lot more time on here! :)

Candace

caroline2622
on 1/16/10 5:29 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Candace   I like the EAS Vanilla       I use it with Lactaid milk   - I find it is one of the few I can add something too and it does not have an odd taste.   I add SF flavors    and sometimes an ounce or 2 of coffee.     Price is great too on the EAS.   

Just keep in mind that your taste buds may change after surgery.   Suggest your 1st weeks try to liquid Isosure's.   Water them down wih a bit of water.    The powdered stuff will be a week or 2 out. 

Check out the difference vitamin stores for samples.  

Good luck and keep us updated on your status.  

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
CandaceHasCurves
on 1/16/10 5:51 am - Alexandria, VA
Thanks Caroline! I've never even heard of the isosure! What is that? Where do you get it?
caroline2622
on 1/16/10 5:58 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Most of the big Vitamin companies carry them.   check out the refrigerator section for singles.   I suggest the orange pineapple ... Some of the other are kind of wackie.      The 1st weeks this is what my NUT had me on.    Easier to digest.    The powders were not to be uses until weeks later.

Also check out the Nectar brands while looking too    Its a powder whey   the peach flavor was my favorite in the beginning   I was not a milk but a fruit juice chickie...   Now I tend to drink my protein with Lactaid skim milk.

Check you Trader Joes    Their brand of chocolate whey protien is good and cost effective.    Also their B12 is better than the Bariatric Advantage     

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
vagirl00
on 1/16/10 7:52 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hi, Candace:

I actually buy my ready to drink (RTD) shakes at Costco -- their prices can't be beat for the Muscle Milk Light (in the case).  I have been drinking these for a couple of years now and keep them in the refrigerator for the days I have to grab and go.  They were recommended by the nutritionist at my surgeon's practice. 

I think the bottled protein that Caroline was suggesting is actually "Isopure."  She is right, you can find them at GNC or The Vitamin Shoppe.  I would recommend you go there and try a couple of different flavors before buying a case of them.  I used these immediately after surgery -- kept the bottles in the refrigerator to keep them cold, and poured it in to a glass and sipped all day.  Great source of protein.

One thing to keep in mind:  More often than not, your tastes will change post op.  If you are going to get protein, I would wait on buying a lot until after you have had the surgery so you don't end up with a lot of money invested in things you no longer care for.  You might want to go to www.bariatriceating.com or www.bariatricchoice.com and order some samples so you can try some things out just to get an idea of what is out there.  Hope that helps.

Just one other thing:  After trying a lot of different powdered protein supplements, the one that I found I like the best is Unjury.  You can find it at www.unjury.com.  You can also order samples from them.

Best of luck!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

CandaceHasCurves
on 1/16/10 8:09 am - Alexandria, VA
Wow, thanks Cindy! That's soooo helpful! I'm going to check out those links and order some samples right now!

How do tastes change after surgery? I will suddenly hate something I used to enjoy? Or I will suddenly be able to tolerate things I used to dislike? :)

vagirl00
on 1/16/10 8:52 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
From what I have seen/heard, it is different with everyone.  I can tell you from personal experience, it was my tolerance/intolerance of different textures, even temperature preferences!  Some people, who liked milk products before surgery, find they don't care for them for awhile after.  Others prefer them over fruity foods/drinks.  I know of some people who find they suddenly love some foods they never cared for pre-op, and the reverse is also true.  As I said, different experiences for different people!  :)

I am glad the information was helpful.  You will find there are a lot of people on here, such as Caroline, who are great resources to tap into.  Keep asking questions and researching -- especially remember to get as much information as you can from everyone at your surgeon's office!

Take care!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

dlo2
on 1/17/10 9:45 pm - Brandenburg, KY
Hi Candace,  I drink the premier nutrition high protein shake from costco.  I have since my surgery.  I like it because it has 30 grams of protien and I like the taste.  My taste have changed since surgery.  A couple of examples is i use to love tuna now I can't stand the taste.  and I have always drank my coffee black now the only way I like it is with sweetner and half and half.   The suggestion to buy samples is a good one because you just won't know until after your surgery.  I did drink the premier protien drink before surgery and it is really the only one I like now.  Just don't spend a lot of money on the protien drinks until you see what you like after surgery.  Good luck on getting your approval.
Debbie 

Ms Court
on 1/17/10 10:16 pm - Remington, VA
Hi Candace!  I too suggest getting samples of different types to try out once you get home.  Don't buy any big containers until you are sure it is something you like although Vitamin Shoppe has a good return policy.  When I was first out of surgery I loved the Isopure Zero Carb powder, Dutch Chocolate.  Used it ever day, twice a day for over a year and never got tired of it.  Now I have been using the EAS chocolate powder.  Mixes good with milk.  I usually add a bit of peanut butter to mine too, sometimes a chunk of banana.  Wishing you the best on your journey.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

melslongjourney
on 1/19/10 1:45 am
Candice,
I am 5 weeks out from having realize band surgery, I use the premire protien on a regular basis. It is very good and I take 2 a day and I love how each has 30 gram of protien and only 1 gram of sugar which is important for band and bypass alike. Its only 160 calories each which is also important. I tried the muscle  milk light its not only 27.99 case instead of the 23.99 for the case of Premire protien, but it tastes horrible.
melissa

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Most Active
Recent Topics