Esoteric Question Re: Taking Communion Post-Op

LaRuse
on 1/12/10 2:14 am - Richmond, VA
I am catholic and my surgery is in 2 days.  It just dawned on me this morning that I have no idea about the guidelines for taking communion in the early weeks post-op. I plan to go back to church by next Sunday at least, if I am not out of the hospital by this Sunday.

I am of course going to ask the doctor when I see him in a few days, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  Did you wait several weeks before taking communion (especially the wine)?  Did you do it anyway and just chew very thoroughly? 

Thanks!
Kim
Melissa N.
on 1/12/10 4:25 am - Stafford, VA
I am episcopal and our service is very similar to the catholic service.  Often the episcopal church is called Catholic Lite.  : )  We take the eucharist every sunday as well.  This was a concearn of mine.  There was a couple of actions I had options of.  1. Dipping of the bread into the wine.  2.  I spoke with my rector and he said I did not have to consume the bread and wine but I could touch the chalice and receive the eucharist that way.  You may want to speak with your Farther and ask him the best way to receive the eucharist. 

COngrats on your surgery!!

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

LaRuse
on 1/12/10 4:50 am - Richmond, VA

Thank you so much!  Another board I wrote basically had the response of "God will forgive you if you don't take communion."  which of course, I know, and am not worried about.  It is more about wondering what to expect and hearing what others have done (and following whatEVER my surgeon says). 

I think I will send my priest an email and see what he says about maybe taking it under one species for a while (bread only) or just coming up and receiving a blessing for the first few weeks.  I *know* God is not concerned one way or the other, but it is part of the comfort and ritual that is my faith, you know? 

Thanks for your reply!

Melissa N.
on 1/12/10 5:39 am - Stafford, VA

I do understand the ritual.  I was raised Episopal then converted to catholism when I was 14 and now I am back in the Episcopal church.  So I do understand fully the implications of the eucharist and why it is given. : )  Please do speak with your surgeon and your Farther.  Please be aware that if you refrain from receiving the wine part of the eucharist and you resume, it does put a little spin on you.  So be cautious.  But this is a very personal desicion to make.

415/375/180/175

Ms Court
on 1/12/10 9:22 pm - Remington, VA
Definitely talk with your surgeon & your church to see what your options are.  Thouroughly chewing would definitley be needed in the beginning.  Another thing to consider would be if you are a very sensitive pouch, you may dump even with just a bite or sip.  Not something you want to experience while at church.  All of this would depend on the type of surgery you are having.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Melissa N.
on 1/13/10 2:08 am - Stafford, VA
Hey Court,

They are not always bread per se.  Sometimes they are waifers.  My church uses this and it just disolves on your tongue.

415/375/180/175

MarisaIsabella
on 1/15/10 8:38 pm - Chesapeake, VA
Hi,
I went t church 3 weeks post op and did not take comunion.They use real bread.I just prayed and know He loves me and thta is whats important,our heart. God knows our hearts !!
Be happy and speddy recovery.
Marisa
LaRuse
on 1/16/10 11:04 am - Richmond, VA
Thank you all for the responses.  I got home from the hospital today. 

A volunteer came around today and offered communion (it is a Catholic hospital) and I took him up on it.  I just had a TINY piece of the wafer.  It worked out fine as it basically disintegrated as I chewed it to death and it was so small, there really wasnt anything to swallow.  

Anyway, I am home now and recovering.  Percocet is my friend, my surgery went very easily, and I have been on my feet as much as possible.  I hope to even go to mass tomorrow, but I will likely skip communion altogether. 

Thanks everyone!

Melissa N.
on 1/16/10 11:48 pm - Stafford, VA
I am glad surgery went well and you are recovering well!  Walk walk and sip sip.  I am glad you able to find solice and a balance!

415/375/180/175

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views