What Did You Take To The Hospital?

LaRuse
on 1/12/10 4:55 am - Richmond, VA

I am sure this has been asked before, but I am asking again. 

What did you take to the hospital that you were really glad you had?  What did you take that you didnt need?

I have a list of things in my book from my surgeon, but I am also planning on bringing my knitting (something really simple like a scarf) and I was thinking of bringing my MP3 player too.  Is there any point to bringing either of those items? 

How about books?  Sudoku?  I dont want to over-pack, but if I have to be there 2 days, I dont want to go stir crazy with nothing to do either. 

Thanks!

Brenda E.
on 1/12/10 5:03 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with

Aside from the normal things you think you should take...I was glad I had my chapstick and my iPod...just be sure you take the charger also.  I also had magazines with me but dont recall reading them.

Good luck with your surgery and let us know how you are doing when you are up to it!

Brenda

CKatGo
on 1/12/10 7:58 am - VA
I suggest your chapstick, cell phone and your own pillow.
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love and self-discipline. 2 Tim 1:7
melanie M.
on 1/12/10 10:44 am - Hopewell, VA
I didnt take anything with me except  toothbrush,brush & cell phone.. wore my Pj's in and out & had small pillow in car for ride home

Good luck with your surgery!
Ms Court
on 1/12/10 9:24 pm - Remington, VA
My slippers, chapstick, brush, ponytail holder & pillow were the only things I used with what I packed.  Pillow is great for a cushion on the belly for the ride home. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

rduck8
on 1/13/10 8:11 am
RNY on 03/17/09 with
You will be glad you have your pillow for the ride home and several after you get home. I was so full of fluids that I could not fit my slippers or the my pj, so I wore home the hospital gown. LOL
~~Theresa Marie~~
on 1/13/10 11:00 am - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Hi & welcome to the boards. We share the same surgeon so if I can be of any help, let me know!

As far as what to bring. I took WAY MORE than I could have even imagined needing. I had everything from pj's & slippers, to crossword & word search books. I even took my lap top, opened it in the middle of the night of my surgery. I think I updated this website & closed it back. If I remember, I did use the word search books. People say to bring your own pillow for the ride home but I didn't & truthfully didn't need it because I was in no pain. I even went to Walmart after leaving the hospital, (same with having open heart surgery). Your MP3 player will definitely make walking the halls easier & may make you want to walk more.

I was there for 4 days and took way too much stuff. I guess it differs for everyone. Good luck on your surgery and again, if I can help you with any of the rules and advice of Dr Bautista, let me know!!

Theresa
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

(deactivated member)
on 1/13/10 11:35 am - Yorktown, VA
I was in the hospital for 4 nights and the only things I used were my laptop (hospital had wifi), chapstick, socks, cell phone and my comfy elastic waisted pajama pants for the trip home.  I brought a lot more stuff with me, but just didn't use it.
ciscorita
on 1/14/10 6:56 am
I remember using my socks to keep my feet warm & did not read squat and could have cared less.  and the best advice someone gave me was if you have a recliner that lays all the way back...it is great to live in for about the first 4 days as it enables you to get up more easily. my husband moved mine up to our room )..You are VERY sore at the site, even with pain meds, BUT...they work and allow you to sleep...I slept in my chair...I went to the mall for a short walk 3 days out...bent over but it was great. had my surgery 01/04 and have been good til now. that is why I am back. I lost 140 lbs and put on this last 18 months after my dad died...so am back o track and thankful for this site.  Good luck to you and keep us all posted...
lisa_clairemont
on 2/26/10 5:02 am
Glad you asked. I have my surgery date and was just wondering the same thing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views