Hair Loss

MerMer
on 1/9/10 7:45 pm
Hello All,

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do about hairloss/thinning. Will it eventually end? Does the hair grow back.

caroline2622
on 1/9/10 10:18 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Try to up your protien if you can.   You can buy biotin to add to your diet.   Biotin is in Costco Kirkland brand multi viamins.  

Yes it will stop

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Penny Denny
on 1/9/10 10:37 pm - Collinsville, VA
Yes it does eventually start growing back, but it may be really uneven lengths for a while. Work with a hairstylist. This may be a good time to try a new hairstyle. I kept cutting shorter and shorter. But now my hair is very healthy and I have a short style that I LOVE. For a while, my hair looked really unhealthy because I was trying to keep it long. It was looking long and stringy. Also you can try Nioxin shampoo (I think that is what it is called). It has a strange smell, but it does thicken your hair.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

vagirl00
on 1/10/10 12:55 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Both of these ladies have mentioned what I was going to say.

Here is what I found out through the process:  My surgeon, PCP and dermatologist all said that the hair loss is a result of the major surgery.  Usually happens around the 3-6 month mark. 

It was suggested early on that I start on Biotin (available at most grocery and drug stores and I have seen it at Costco as well) -- I still take it today at 2+ years post op. The biotin doesn't stop your hair from falling out, however, it does make it grow in healthier, and some even say it helps their skin and nails as well.  My stylist had experience dealing with this issue with WLS patients, and she had me start on the Nioxin regimen as soon as my hair started to thin and that helped with the appearance quite a bit.  I also cut my hair short (I have very fine hair ordinarily, so this thinning needed to be addressed quickly), and continued to take in a lot of protein (over 100g per day) -- the combination of all of these made a difference and does to this day.

One thing that I have experienced, personally, and don't know that this is the case for everyone, is that during stressful times when I am not taking in the amount of protein my body seems to need, my hair starts thinning again.  When I notice this, I take it as a cue from my body that it needs more protein, and I get back on track with it -- then, problem is solved.

Hope this helps.
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

caroline2622
on 1/10/10 1:24 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Great point both ladies made.  I used Nioxon as well.  

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Ms Court
on 1/10/10 10:27 pm - Remington, VA
It can be a result of surgery and of the rapid weight loss.  Yes it does slow down/stop.  Biotin, upped protein, nioxin all help.  Some people use the hair/skin/nails formula vitamins.  Working wiht your stylist is definitely a great idea too.  I perm my hair & got a fresh perm right before surgery to hide the loss.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

lysb
on 1/12/10 1:29 am - Alexandria, VA
Hey - all the ladies gave awesome advice. I just wanted you to know it will come back.  I had my surgery, and lost alot of hair, i've always had thick, thick hair, so to most it was not noticeable but was to me.  I had gallbladder surgery 6 months out and notice another loss. but now at 21 months out it is all back, i do recommend taking the hair/nail vitamins, i should get bac on them myself.  Good luck!  lys

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views